Soup is Monstrous Food

This is a hopeless search. I’m pretty sure you can’t sip the same soup twice.

I like canned soup. Campbell especially. Chicken Noodle, Creme of Chicken, Bean with Bacon. They seems to have sweetened up their tomato Soup recipe over the decade with HFCS, it way to sweet for me now.

But canned soup is wonderful. A can of soup is non-pretentious…and is enjoyed by all.

To paraphrase Andy Warhol: “Jackie O eats the same soup as you”

/i think he said drinks the same coke.

2 Likes

I don’t remember asking. A bowl of red was and is, by definition in my family (of Oklahoma/Texas origin), bean-free. There is no ‘should’. I’ll leave it to others to argue bean or bean-free. Taste wise, I’m happy either way.

2 Likes

Texas chili contains no beans, it also traditionally shouldn’t contain any vegetables (besides chilis) or tomatoes, but should contain beef suet and cubed rather than ground beef. But unfortunately for Texans their version doesn’t get to be the only version, or even the definitive one. In most of the rest of the country, and most other types of chili, beans are standard. Even in areas of the Southwest with a similar or identical connection to the history of the dish. Also a knock against “no beans” as the only viable answer is basic history. Beans were added in other areas to stretch the dish when beef/meat was less available than it was to Texas Ranch hands. Its a really common practice, and frankly anyone (even in Texas) who couldn’t easily afford enough meat to feed the number of people they needed to feed would have added beans to stretch it. I suspect the “absolutely no beans ever!” position is based more in the relative privilege and wealth we now live in than in any actual tradition or historical reality.

Beyond that when I make chili I am typically making the eastern style of chili. This style traditionally contains beans, and I like them so I include beans. It also includes tomatoes, and lots of vegetables. Also sometimes I put bacon in it. Or use pork instead of beef. Or stew meat instead of ground meat, or both, or left overs from a roast. But who cares. It tastes good, and at no point have I ever claimed it is 100% authoritative, authentic, defining Texas Chili TM and all other chilis will be defined by their relation to it. Culture tends to change, broaden, and evolve over time. Being pedantic about it won’t stop that. And in my experience these rigid opinions about food tend to be based in picky eating habits or misplaced nostalgia.

5 Likes

Electron beam food radiation? How does that work? Wouldn’t a metal can pretty much completely shield whatever’s inside from the electron beam? Or are we talking about SPring-8 energy levels here?

The role of the ionizing radiation is to ionize the material it is absorbed within (in this case food), and the free radicals generated that way then cause structural damage to the molecules within. Enough damage, and the enzymes stop working, and living things (insects, bacteria, viruses…) become unviable, nonliving. Same general principle as with thermal, pressure, ultrasound and other sterilization modes.

Metal cans provide a degree of shielding. However, at tens of megaelectronvolts, the thin metal does not attenuate the beam so much.

Described e.g. here:
http://ccr.ucdavis.edu/irr/how_food_irr.shtml

1 Like

Yes the metal can would shield the soup from electrons - but if you did this in a vacuum (required iirc?) you’d get lots of tasty x-rays that would do the job very well.

Loved that turn of phrase. Kind of Alan Moore-ish?

Campbells Bean with Bacon is a staple of mine during football season. Just empty a couple of cans of the thick stuff into a big microwave dish, mix in a bunch of cheese, diced peppers of whatever kind you find tasty (a few squirts of sriracha works well too), if you’re feeling like it, you can add some chopped celery, add in whatever cooked meat ya got. I like browned hamburger, but leftover pork shredded up works well too, even hotdog coins. Nuke the sucker, stirring every minute or so until the whole thing is unbelievably hot, then let it cool for a while.

Put it on a trivet next to a bowl of corn chips, and you got yourself an A+, very thick and hearty chip dip. What it lacks in flavor, it makes up for in sheer bowel obstruction power.

1 Like

Fixed it for you!

From Wyrms Footnotes

#Walktapus Stew
Ingredients: walktapus brains, chopped onions, goat’s butter,
mushrooom soup, bay leaves, garlic cloves, spiceroot, dry breadcrumbs,
pepper to taste. Parboil the walktapus brains for one hour; sauté the
crushed garlic and onions in the butter. Add the brains, spices and
soup, stir well. Place into individual dishes, sprinkle liberally with
breadcrumbs, and bake for half an hour. Important warning: it is
essential that you ensure the walktapus is thoroughly dead before
cooking it, as it would be unfortunate if it began regenerating after
being eaten.)— Beat-Pot Aelwrin

2 Likes

HA! I was thinking of the THANKS OBAMA infomercial bits when I wrote that!

Given that I had to look him up, it’s more likely the result of way (WAY!) too many science books and papers read over last 30 years…

1 Like

New entry on @shaddack’s to do list: read some Alan Moore!

4 Likes

Step Two: Realize that people are absolute bastards to each other and one should Never Trust The Man.

2 Likes

Very true. I know a number of people who won’t use microwaves because they are convinced that it either leaves radiation in food, or alters the food in some horrible manner.

I’ve tried to explain the science, that microwave radiation lasts less then 1 nanosecond. That microwaves fall between infrared and radio waves in the safe part of the spectrum, and that similar to infrared waves they heat by exciting fat and water molecules. No amount of science can convince these people that these aren’t evil devil boxes that have come to take over our kitchens and vaccinate our children. -sighs-

1 Like

Absolutely. But if it’s not a priority (as we all have different priorities based on our individual personalities), it doesn’t necessarily follow that it’s because someone is “lazy.”

1 Like

Took a while to get there but we have a winner. Salt, sugar and thickeners in place of the complex flavour profile you almost can’t avoid creating using cheap fresh ingredients and a little care and attention to a good recipe.

5 Likes

Most people just make excuses. And I don’t understand the idea of not making eating properly a priority for people that know better.