South Carolina re-instates death by firing squad, schedules first execution

They’re against the parts of government that are anti-death: healthcare, seatbelts, speed limits, common sense gun restrictions, vaccinations, life imprisonment…

4 Likes

Whoever volunteers for this should be automatically excluded.

3 Likes

Previous joke:
LAWYER: Hey, good news and bad news. I wasn’t able to get you released, but I WAS able to get your voltage reduced!

South Carolina version:
LAWYER: Hey, good news and bad news. I wasn’t able to get you released, but I WAS able to get the caliber reduced!

1 Like

" It’s unclear what legal recourse there is if someone should [survive the execution]"

Major fail as three shooters is not adequate. If it is to be done it must be done right. A botched execution is evil.

This seems poorly thought out or burdened by arbitrary rules about location and such.

Just do away with executions… problem solved.

17 Likes

Well, it’s over quickly at least. Assuming the volunteer psychopaths aim for the heart and not somewhere that will take a lot longer, and hurt more. And you can bet that in a short while the trigger-pullers will be asking for assistance with their PTSD, you know, some leave time and a pay bump for the trauma they suffered.

The thing I dont understand among supporters of the death penalty is the need to avoid methods that appear gruesome, and also methods that are likely painless.

Somehow people can support a overly complex ritualistic revenge killing but decry countries that use more visually disturbing methods (shooting people in the head, decapatation) that may be more “humane”.

But then I just have the crazy idea that we stop this cruel, expensive, and error prone nonsense…

1 Like

We will have to agree to disagree that some people don’t deserve death. It should be rare and for egregious reasons, such as Timothy McVeigh.

But since an error free implementation will never be a reality, we have reached the same conclusion to ban capital punishment.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if "next’ is to bring back public executions. I’m sure the God-Guns-Trump crowd would love it.

2 Likes

Fucking barbarians.

There’s a reason the state invokes the penalties, not the victim and their relations.

We’ve been restricting and stopping lethal injection because we keep fucking it up and leaving people to die in horrible agony.

Surely this solution will work perfectly, with no downsides or unforeseen complications…

1 Like

I can’t bring myself to ‘like’ this comment, but I’m sure that’s on the schedule.

2 Likes

And raffling off who gets to be on the firing squad. My guess is that’s Texas’ next move as it tries to outdo SC.

6 Likes

This was going to be my comment, for exactly the same reason. All the witches I know are quite open about the fact

Go Away GIF

Bullet-resistant glass has been installed between the witness room and death chamber

Bullet-resistant? Wouldn’t they want bullet-proof?

“Bullet-proof,” like “Sound-proof,” is really more of an ideal state than an attainable goal. Just as you can only dampen rather than completely eliminate the transmission of sound waves (unless you have a self-contained chamber in a total vacuum), you can only call a sheet of glass “bullet-proof” up to a certain caliber and velocity of bullet.

2 Likes

Presumably they know the caliber of the bullets and the number and type of guns being used, and can choose glass that has been rated “bulletproof” against that combination.