South Dakota lawmaker blocks workplace protection for pregnant workers: "It's not prison. You can quit."

“You can quit.”

Wrong.

Next.

23 Likes

18 Likes

I’d hazard the guess that most of them didn’t have working mothers.
Edit: Wow, that was a stupid thing to write. I meant employed mothers. Every mother is a working mother.

31 Likes

So what efforts has the lawmaker spearheaded to provide greater employment opportunities for South Dakota residents? I mean, since it’s so easy to just quit one’s job, it must be just as easy to find another one, right?

Maybe they should lock the bathrooms and take away all the chairs in the state capitol there. He could always quit his job if he doesn’t like it, right?

32 Likes

I thought republican law makers were also trying to make it impossible to quit being pregnant? Because you sure as f*ck can’t quit feeding the family you already have or having a place to live.

It is almost as if these rich f’n lawmakers don’t know what it is like to have to work to survive. Not to mention not being unable to relate to the rights of anyone without the same genitalia they have.

He didn’t think through the options did he?

36 Likes

So what efforts has the lawmaker spearheaded to provide greater employment opportunities for South Dakota residents?

I’m sure he’s done all he can to open up opportunities the oil services industry.

7 Likes

Well there are some jobs opening up that were previously held by other women… \s

grrrrrrrrrr…

6 Likes

You’d be doing him a favor! But what about the poor spawn?

4 Likes

Best of both worlds: Late Stage Christofacist Assholery.

16 Likes

I’m all set for post-Late-Stage-Christofascist Assholery, myself.

15 Likes

This sounds reasonable, but actually isn’t, for several reasons 1), if that were a real concern, Rep Steinhauer could have said that, and attempted to amend the bill. After all, he is theoretically a law-maker. Instead he and his committee mates voted it down and was a giant dick about it. 2) These are very similar accommodations that are already by law provided to injured or disabled workers. We already know this works, and doesn’t cause undue burden on employers. 3) The bill in question – just like the ones in the other 18 states that already have this – does state that the request has to be reasonable, and specifically says that the employer does not have to create a new work for someone if it is not possible to accommodate them in their previous position.

31 Likes

Pretty sure there’d be a reasonability clause, just as there is in the ADA — which people raised similar objections to, offering convoluted edge cases involving quadriplegic construction workers and cave tour guides in wheelchairs.

If pregnancy makes it impossible to perform your duties a good employer will find something else for you to do temporarily, or simply give you paid leave. Laws like this would oblige asshole employers to do the same, but Steinhauer is more interested in protecting their right to be fellow assholes than improving conditions for the working class.

31 Likes

Could pregnant women unable to perform their jobs go on temporary disability?

4 Likes

I’m so sick of this Hobson’s choice bullshit. Limit someone’s viable options, then insist that they have no right to complain because they’re free not to take them. That’s not choice; that’s the illusion of choice.

39 Likes

It’s not a disability, it’s a god-given duty. /s

14 Likes

I feel confident he’ll get the support he needs to make appropriate life choices for the future at a Christian Crisis Pregnancy Center.

5 Likes

Are there no women in South Dakota who vote?

10 Likes

We should ditch child labor laws, too. What child in their right mind would work for someone who hires children?

Same with EEO laws, come to think of it.

27 Likes

Things like this leave me almost speechless in their naked barbarity.

Once upon a time I was a Conservative (n the classic sense before republicans got into the spoiled rye bread or whatever has caused their insanity the last few decades) but I find, without changing a single thing, that I am now nearly a middle of the road LIberal.

This blip is acting as though the law would have required companies to pay nine months of maternity leave or something.

While I agree that no one would want to work for a company that wouldn’t allow this stuff, as others have rightly pointed out, changing jobs is not like swapping socks.

I truly fear for the Republic with the increasing amount of this uncivilized nonsense being pushed out by such people.

27 Likes

And he’s the Chair of the Health and Human Services. WTF? He may want to look up what Health, Human, Services mean.

14 Likes