South Dakota lawmaker blocks workplace protection for pregnant workers: "It's not prison. You can quit."

Is there something about a lack of empathy that makes it easier or more likely to become a lawmaker? Or does being a lawmaker reduce empathy?

6 Likes

People who give tours in old buildings and caves don’t get bathroom breaks now? Or are they only giving tours to people who are perfectly able-bodied and entirely urine-free?

Or what if we have all businesses pay into a pool that can be used to pay the wages and assure job security for women who are indeed prevented by pregnancy from doing their job. Some sort of corporate healthcare tax? Three guesses where this guy stands on that…

25 Likes

His job no doubt provides plenty of protections for pregnant workers though, ironically.

12 Likes

The lawmakers then said, “pregnant women… in the workplace? Inconceivable! They should be in the kitchen making me dinner.”

12 Likes

I’m thinking of a cave tour I took a couple years ago. There are no
bathroom facilities in the cave and there’s a sign warning about that.
It’s short enough that someone of average bladder capacity would be fine,
but what about late in pregnancy?

1 Like

Depends.

33 Likes

What is his own private idaho where workers have leverage against employers? Threatening to leave? I’m sure the employer is quivering with fear.

5 Likes

Let me translate:

Let them eat cake.

10 Likes

22 Likes

They are that out of touch they don’t realize… Just…

F00F

3 Likes

Again with the cave tour?! How often are these tour guides getting knocked up? If a tour guide in her third trimester is having trouble making it all the way through without pissing herself, have her swap jobs with the gift shop clerk for a couple of months.

38 Likes

Not only that, but trying to find a new job while you’re pregnant and facing the costs and stress of childbirth?!? WTF kind of choice is that? Or does he just mean to suffer through it, and then quit and find a new job after you have a whole new mouth to feed?

23 Likes

If hand-wringing misogynists used just half their creative energy spent inventing weird workplace fringe cases on coming up with reasonable workplace accomodations, the world would be a better place.

34 Likes

I’ll be 54 this summer and my mom worked full-time from the moment I turned six. All but two of my friends’ moms worked outside the home (and those moms helped out on their family ranches/farms). Also, I was the youngest of five kids and my siblings’ friends had moms who at least worked part-time.

So no, generation gap really doesn’t explain this person’s attitude. He’s simply a selfish businessman.

27 Likes

If this guy has to have his prostate out, why should he get sick leave? He can just quit.

If he has to pee a lot as a result, why should he be accommodated? He can just quit.

If he has to take off work to get treatment for metastatic prostate cancer, why should he be accommodated? He can just quit.

Works both ways.

29 Likes

And I could cite just as many counter-examples to your examples, from my family and friends, and I’m only in my thirties. But all of that’s only anecdotal evidence.

But I wasn’t really talking about a generation gap, more of a class one. The guess I was hazarding is that he comes from circumstances where one working parent is/was able to comfortably feed the family. Hence his perspective might be little distorted when it comes to this…

3 Likes

“Taxation is theft?” America is not a prison. You can leave any time.

17 Likes

Or he comes from a working-class family? Or is uneducated? Or is an ass?

That’s why I used my experiences in a very conservative city to point out that what you were originally positing was speculative at best. The early seventies were full of middle class working moms who worked because they wanted to, not because they had to.

6 Likes

So much for these hypocrites who claim that they’re “pro-life”.

9 Likes

Trapped with these authoritarian christofascist clowns, America (and the planet) is really starting to feel like a prison.

4 Likes