Southern Poverty Law Center releases its 2022 "Year in Hate" report, which includes Moms for Liberty for the first time

Originally published at: Southern Poverty Law Center releases its 2022 "Year in Hate" report, which includes Moms for Liberty for the first time | Boing Boing

2 Likes

If The Shoe Fits GIF by SVU

9 Likes

Reading their hate-group map is always depressing as hell. I know these people are a tiny minority, but to see them located all over the place is just grim as hell.

10 Likes

At this point, when I hear of a new organisation using the word “liberty” in its title I know there’s an almost certain chance their real goal is to deprive Americans of it

17 Likes

USA Today said “The research center’s designations are sometimes controversial.”

Usually only with the groups that well deserve their label.

12 Likes

Same with “freedom”. Anything incorporating the word “freedom” is gonna be MAGAts.

12 Likes

As well as Patriot

7 Likes

I wish it was only a tiny minority. A good section of the report is how hate has gone mainstream with Trump’s Extremist GOP. You don’t get elected President by a tiny minority. Not that he was elected by a majority, but there are enough hateful people out there that voter suppression, gerrymandering, and other dirty tricks were enough for them to win at least once.

I’m sure the SPLC really wanted to classify the modern GOP as a hate group, because they clearly meet every reasonable test, but there’s no way to do that and still be taken seriously by the people they need to reach.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Not sure where I saw this, but my favorite quote responding to this group:
“Until transgender people are beating children to death with copies of “To Kill a Mockingbird,” you’re fighting the wrong battle.”

5 Likes

4 Likes

And “freedom” is also usually appropriated. It all reminds me of a New Yorker (?) cartoon) suggesting a better name for the HMS Titanic (giving the impression that its fate would be changed): HMS “We’re All Wearing Clean Underwear”.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.