3 Likes

I´d like to see this map!

2 Likes

All right, I know that’s only one.

5 Likes

fancy animation:

both from here

which states

Ballistic Lunar Transfers (BLTs) are a type of low-energy transfer in which a spacecraft travels to an apogee of 1-1.5 million km to utilize the Sun’s gravity to modify the spacecraft’s orbital perigee and inclination.
For CAPSTONE, this effect is used to decrease the inclination from a launch latitude of ~39° to an inclination in line with the Moon’s orbital plane, as well as raise the spacecraft’s perigee to the radius of the Moon. This reduces the deterministic spacecraft ΔV to approximately 20-60 m/s, compared to the 350-550 m/s required for a direct transfer to an NRHO. This reduction in spacecraft ΔV enables the mission to be achieved with a 12U-class CubeSat. The TLI C3 of approximately -0.6 km2/s2 is higher than -2.0 km2/s2, the value needed for a direct transfer. The BLT also requires three to four months of time to traverse, which is substantially longer than a direct transfer. This extended transfer duration provides for advantages from an operational perspective. First, there is ample time to characterize and navigate the spacecraft performance and then perform well-timed trajectory correction maneuvers that allow for a consistent entry time into the NRHO. When the spacecraft reaches perigee, it encounters the Moon and inserts into the NRHO.

four months for a human spaceflight to the moon? Maybe I’m misinterpreting something.

2 Likes

Long for human spaceflight, but just fine for all the other gear that is being sent in advance.

4 Likes

Fixed!

8 Likes

Good!

The It Crowd Chris Odowd GIF

10 Likes

“Oh, this little thing? It’s nothing, just a test shot. Why?”

Because Holy Shit!!

10 Likes

I’m pissed that I’ll be traveling Tuesday.

I’ll have to take a long lunch & space telescope break!

7 Likes
4 Likes
1 Like

3 Likes
4 Likes

Suggested site for first JWST pics. See you all there!

Dates and EST times:

Tuesday, July 12
9:45 a.m. – Opening remarks: James Webb Space Telescope’s first full-color images and data
10:30 a.m. – First full-color images and data from the James Webb Space Telescope
12 p.m. – Media briefing: James Webb Space Telescope’s first full-color images and data
3 p.m. – Media interviews: James Webb Space Telescope’s first full-color images and data (available on NASA TV’s media channel)

Wednesday, July 13
6 a.m. – Media interviews: James Webb Space Telescope’s first full-color images and data (available on NASA TV’s media channel)
1 p.m. – ISS Expedition 67 in-flight interview with WHP-TV, Harrisburg, Pa. and NASA astronaut Bob Hines
2 p.m. – Climate Conversation briefing for NASA’s SpaceX CRS-25 mission
3 p.m. – NASA Science Live: Webb’s First Full-Color Images Explained | A Never-Before-Seen View of the Universe

The 7/13 ISS in-flight interview may be more interesting than the usual ISS fare, given this brazen display of Russian politics on board:

7 Likes