Spaaaaace

My office is literally 20 feet from the makeshift studio where the announcement will be made.

Gonna be an interesting workday Tuesday.

4 Likes

The 6:45 PST airing will definitely cause our group to skip our morning meeting :blush: and gather in our control room where we’ll watch the ‘show’ on our big screen test monitors. No food allowed in there though. :frowning_face: Among the first pics, I’d love to see a new shot of the HD1 “galaxy” and the area surrounding it. That and (for starters) a couple of our closest exoplanets!

4 Likes

A modest appetizer. Something for the “We’re the only intelligent life in the Universe crowd” to chew on before the main course.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Neat! But then again, the Kajima Corporation proposes revolutionary Moon bases or Everest-sized buildings and whatnot every couple of years.

4 Likes

At least they’re putting thought into the long term health of colonists they’re proposing relocating to another planet (or moon).

Unlike some people I could mention.

4 Likes

I mean it’s not like I wouldn’t love to be on their team that is tasked to come up with this stuff… It’s just that it’s always so much more of a PR thing (or the owner’s folly, I don’t know) than a concrete project.

3 Likes

All I know is neither looks like a viable retirement location.

The beach sucks and they don’t make sunscreen strong enough.

6 Likes

This day in history:

6 Likes

First JWST pic released by NASA, a day early. Gravitational lensing!!! More info at the site.

HERE IS A DIRECT LINK TO “FIRST IMAGES” AS THEY ARE RELEASED.

9 Likes

And here’s the Ars write-up on this amuse bouche.

9 Likes

Gobsmacked by SMACS 0723!

4 Likes
4 Likes
8 Likes

In the world of rocket propellant development that’s what became known as a “hard start”.

8 Likes
6 Likes
5 Likes

It was really hard. The astronauts are sitting on the top of a "tower’ with tons of highly explosive fuel. Crazy people!

3 Likes
2 Likes

Dmitry Rogozin sacked as boss of Russian space agency Roscosmos

Dmitry Rogozin has been dismissed from his post as boss of Russian space agency Roscosmos.

Speculation had been swirling around the space community as Rogozin’s emissions on social media and elsewhere became ever more unhinged. A morning announcement from the Kremlin appears to have confirmed that the rumors are true: Rogozin has gone and Yuri Borisov appointed Director General of Roscosmos in his stead.

[…]

ETA:

2 Likes