Spaaaaace

I’ll see you in september, when the Summer is gone…

4 Likes
6 Likes

Hey cool. I just loaded it into Stellarium, and it’ll be in a clear patch of sky from my backyard in mid-October. Marking the date.

2 Likes
6 Likes

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-asia-india-66576580

India makes history with south pole Moon landing

Chandrayaan-3’s lander touches down on the lunar surface, making India the first country to successfully land a spacecraft near the Moon’s south pole.

All previous missions to the Moon have touched down near the equator - but exploring the south pole is key to the hunt for water.

Scientists now hope to deploy a rover to send images and data back to Earth - stick with us for updates.

9 Likes
7 Likes

Showing up Vladdy is just plain funny. Not the most important part, but funny nonetheless.

8 Likes

Putin has succeeded in making Russia the second-best army in Ukraine and the third-best space program in BRICS.

5 Likes

Whatever you do, do not joke about India’s space program!

6 Likes

If one understands the context, it was actually a funny joke.

The guy in the picture pouring tea looks like K. Sivan, the director of the Indian Space Agencvy when the last probe crashed. There’s also an old joke in India about Neil Armstrong landing on the moon the first thing he sees is an Indian of Malayali heritage selling tea from a stall (because there are Malayali-run tea-stalls everywhere in India). The previous director of the Indian Space Agency, K. Sivan, is Malayali.

So, culturally, it’s a pretty nicely constructed joke.

ETA:

Ah! The explanation is in the link inside the Ars article.

4 Likes
4 Likes

As an aside, the Indian government has been arresting and harassing comedians for a while now-check out Vir Das on YouTube for an example and some great stand up.

4 Likes

ynZfW6b

4 Likes

Go to the moon for the price of a low earth orbit launch on Space X platform…

Well I guess you don’t get rich by writing cheques.

6 Likes

Some houses cost less than Indian space agency spent on getting to the Moon

I’m presuming that most houses cost less than what India spent getting to the moon.

5 Likes
3 Likes

ETA

https://efe.com/en/other-news/2023-08-27/india-asserts-every-right-to-name-lunar-areas-after-landing-on-moons-south-pole/

3 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes
4 Likes