Spaaaaace

4 Likes

Oh no, no.

I live in a latitude far from the area with Auroras. I wish I could see one. But I think we get solar flares strong enough to spawn Auroras in Rio, we must get into trouble.

[xkcd: Aurora Meaning]

[aurora_meaning.png (290×349) (xkcd.com)]

12 Likes

i’m sorry you don’t get to see them ( but, admittedly, i am glad for the survival of terrestrial physics, and the planet. )

if it’s any consolation - with the city lights here in the pacific northwest - all i saw was a kind of pink hazy glow. i’m looking forward to trying again tonight though.

( i realize i should probably get into my car and drive somewhere dark. my only excuse is that night starts awfully late this time of year, and that dark is somewhat far. )

6 Likes

So do I. It would be a cool Apocalypse, I have to admit.

Oh. So it must be like the orange/reddish glow of the city lights reflected on the mist from Ocean.

If you manage to take this road trip, please take care and tell us how were the lights.

Obrigado!

7 Likes

Aurora Australis in newspapers from Argentina, Uruguay and Chile.

[Aurora austral en Uruguay: fotógrafos registran un hecho histórico y astrónomos explican por qué pasó (elobservador.com.uy)]

[La aurora austral generada por una tormenta solar tiñó el cielo de Tierra del Fuego y la Antártida, y dejó imágenes impactantes (clarin.com)]

[Imágenes impresionantes: aurora austral tiñe de fucsia el cielo del sur de Chile | Chile (lacuarta.com)]

[El Sol regaló belleza en Tierra del Fuego, la Patagonia, la Antártida y hasta Venado Tuerto – Diario El Ciudadano y la Región (elciudadanoweb.com)]

[¿Por qué las auroras australes son rojas y no verdes? - La Tercera]

[Una tormenta solar extrema provocó auroras australes en Uruguay: ¿qué son y pueden volverse a ver? - EL PAÍS Uruguay (elpais.com.uy)]

[Imágenes: Captan sorprendente Aurora Austral en ciudades del sur de Chile en medio de alerta por tormenta solar (emol.com)]

[Enorme tormenta solar provoca auroras australes en Punta Arenas - Meganoticias]

8 Likes

Just for the sake of completeness: with the right equipment, you can have bespoke auroras made to order wherever you want them, but it has fallen out of fashion.

4 Likes

My friend also sent these imgur links:

8 Likes

I found this XLNT video from Seattle, and sent it to my friend who’s sent me so many great aurora goodies, and to a buncha other buddies. My friend V much enjoyed it, and I hope you Mutants do, too, also.

They’ve recently uploaded a 4K version, which looked the same as the orig on our roku tv. tophat-shrug

6 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

[…]
A rival space company has come out of the woodwork to warn NASA of a “risk of a disaster occurring on the launchpad,” and advising the space agency to “immediately halt” the Starliner launch. The dramatic warning was issued on Wednesday by ValveTech, which recently lost a court battle over valve designs for Starliner’s propulsion system, according to Payload.
[…]

3 Likes

Space Taxi Ready for Takeoff As Dream Chaser Prepares for Launch

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/space-taxi-ready-for-takeoff-as-dream-chaser-prepares-for-launch/ar-BB1mheBk

3 Likes
4 Likes

Have spacesuit? Will travel.

6 Likes

“We don’t know where to put this planet in all the formation theories we have right now, because it’s an outlier of all of them,” Francisco Pozuelos, study author and astronomer at the Instituto de Astrofisica de Andalucia, said in a statement. “We cannot explain how this planet was formed.”

9 Likes
3 Likes

So Good Wow GIF by NBC

3 Likes
6 Likes

Thinking Think GIF by yvngswag

4 Likes

Because incomplete source reference was incomplete:

Very interesting. Still so much to explore and learn…

For what it’s worth, my view on Dyson spheres (or swarms) is that arguably, a society that has what it would take to make a Dyson sphere (or swarm, or Ringworld while we’re at it) wouldn’t need to make one. And that’s without even going near the dark forest hypothesis.

5 Likes