Spaaaaace

keep-watching-the-skies

3 Likes

Watching starliner launch. Countdown stopped at 03:50, right after the big patriotic speech. Will it scrub??

4 Likes

I’m gonna go with “yes”, and the reason will be a really dumb one.

3 Likes

Officially scrubbed now

4 Likes

Yeah, I watched it on NASA TV (still watching). This is so frustrating.

Watching the egress procedure was interesting though. That is one large three-ring-binder to work through… “Blue Team” requesting a different route to go back because their vehicle was low on fuel is a fitting touch. At least the CTV didnt’t ram the building when it was backing up. Does the driver get overtime because they had to make two trips to the launch pad today?

6 Likes

isn’t this bezos? they should consider themselves lucky if they get a bathroom break. and access to a bathroom. :sob:

3 Likes

Per the NPR story:

But I’m not following that Twitter link for more details.

Maybe a mandatory Windows Security Update caused the computer to restart as an inopportune time? Happens all the time when I’m hosting a Zoom meeting.

But probably not as interesting as their emergency egress procedure…

“Wheeeee!”

The slide that SpaceX uses looks interesting too. Would be fun to try these things out in non-emergency situations.

3 Likes

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-01470-1

However,

The window for such an agreement is closing fast. There is a strong scientific benefit to reaching Uranus near 2050, when its position in its orbit will mean that sunlight will fully illuminate all parts of the spinning planet and its orbiting moons. Given a typical 10-year development time for a flagship mission, paired with long flight times to Uranus (12–15 years, depending on launch date and vehicle), this would require work on the Uranus Orbiter and Probe to commence in the next few years.

5 Likes

This is the Boeing Starliner, not the Bezos “New Shepard” spacecraft, but it’s an easy mistake to make as both designs are even more phallic than a typical rocket.

3 Likes

Smbc Phallic shape of rockets

4 Likes

A joint mission to Uranus sounds like a Chuck Tingle project.

5 Likes
2 Likes

i really liked this video and the parts on the homeostatic development hypothesis. looking at space exploration and seti from a decolonization perspective sounds super interesting.

( i can only stand to watch youtube talks at 2x speed – and where’s my 3x or 4x !? :crying_cat_face: – so i will have to go through a bit slower at some point to write down some of the references she mentions. they all sound great. )

2 Likes

Dr. Fatima is great… all her videos are interesting and she does a great job of breaking down complex topics in astrophysics… Also, she always looks so cool!

3 Likes

I have this vague memory of an art exhibit where theme was something like flying saucers are breasts and rockets are dicks.

Vulvas are of course rowing boat shaped.

That brand is named after a Finnish saying ‘Vittujen kevät ja kyrpien takatalvi.’ can’t translate that to English around here…

3 Likes

Why does so much of contemporary crewed spaceflight look like Apollo-era LARPING on a budget, but with the shiny optics a theme park would use, and leaving out some of the clever bits that are easily overlooked?

[waves NRFB fecal containment system for Apollo astronauts]
Get off my lawn launch pad!
If anyone needs me, I’ll be in theanger dome explosion room.

2 Likes

[Megumi Igarashi has entered the chat]

2 Likes

And it looks like a little LEM.
Dashcam video of landing.

6 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes