Spaaaaace

Mars is slam-dunked by hundreds of basketball-sized meteorites every year

Seismic data from Mars indicates that our neighboring planet is hit about three hundred times a year by meteorites the size of basketballs.

A study authored by researchers from Imperial College London and ETH Zurich was able to use data collected from NASA’s now-defunct InSight Lander, which is equipped with a seismological tool termed the Seismic Experiment for Interior Structure (SEIS). It’s the only seismometer on Mars, and a crucial source of info pertaining to the biggest events that happen on and under the surface of Mars, including meteorite impacts.

[…]

2 Likes

The first full-scale mission of Amazon’s Project Kuiper has slipped to the end of 2024, a year after the company finally got its prototype satellites into orbit.

In a post regarding its satellite manufacturing facility in Kirkland, Washington, Amazon said: “We’re targeting our first full-scale Kuiper mission for Q4 aboard an Atlas V rocket from ULA.” It’s a slip from the first half of 2024 stated by the company last year as it basked in the glow of its successful Protoflight mission.

[…]

3 Likes

When I first saw mention of this in the news I thought it was no big deal. Test launches of new rockets fail all the time, after all. But it turns out that this test was not meant to be a launch at all, which adds a little excitement. Fortunately it doesn’t sound like anyone was killed.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Not a counterpoint; rather an illustration for how absurd this all is.

(Also, three years old. So not entirely up to date, but the general point still stands.)

2 Likes

Watched this launch live today on their YT channel, wish I had known about it a week ago - I keep meaning to head down to Tanigashima! Raining cats & dogs up here in Fukuoka, but weather there for the launch looked perfect:

Nice work by JAXA, H3 hopefully has passed its earlier teething troubles.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Kettle:

Trouble in space as Boeing’s not going, and China’s back from the Moon

2 Likes

meters!? what kind of measurement is that?

7 Likes

The one that got men on the Moon in 1969.

4 Likes

but i want to know – no. the world needs to know - how many london cabs stacked end to end it would be.

4 Likes

https://www.theregister.com/Design/page/reg-standards-converter.html

4 Likes

20 giraffe!? now that is news! :wink:

( eta: 20 actual giraffe standing on top of each other, hurtling towards you? that’s no joke. :giraffe:)

1 Like
7 Likes
3 Likes

17 Likes

In before… Who am I kidding. This has well, actually written all over it. Sorry…

Except SSTOs…

Which may or may not be a good idea.
It’s a bit like economics. Everybody has a theory, some people turn it into a religion.

6 Likes

I like it!

4 Likes
6 Likes

Does a Jules-Verne-style launch system count as a SSTO?

(I just now looked it up and was surprised to learn that in the novel From the Earth to the Moon the giant cannon was built in Florida, of all places. The capsule was built of Aluminum, and in the sequel book Around the Moon it orbits the moon, makes it back to earth and does a survivable landing in the ocean. Verne was remarkably prescient for someone writing in 1865, more than a century before the real moon launch!)

3 Likes