Sperm counts worldwide are plummeting faster than ever

Originally published at: Sperm counts worldwide are plummeting faster than ever | Boing Boing

7 Likes

They just wriggle along so fast, it’s hard to keep count.

Maybe I need glasses.

12 Likes

Archive version: archive.ph

8 Likes

I’m sure the fascist wing of petrochemical PR will ensure that our local MAGA politicians have an updated binder on how gay marriage, liberal arts colleges, sparing the rod with our children and men who cook are actually to blame for this.

29 Likes

My hot take: fewer humans would not be a bad thing.

21 Likes

In most of the world the birth rate has been declining substantially in recent decades and is already at or below the replacement rate in many countries. So wishing infertility upon millions of would-be parents is not only insensitive but also unnecessary.

15 Likes

Hmmm… maybe Mr McGuire was wrong…

12 Likes

I hope that you and your family never know what it’s like to struggle with infertility, because it’s both a huge financial drain and an emotional rollercoaster.

Allowing people to have autonomy over their reproductive lives doesn’t just mean birth control and abortion for people who don’t want to have children, it also means that people who do want to have children should be able to do so.

18 Likes

Madison Cawthorn is already out there assuring us it’s not the chemicals making sperm less lively, it’s the liberals making men less manly. They’re ahead on their rhetoric with this one.

12 Likes

A 2022 meta-analysis found that sperm counts (the number of sperm per ejaculate) in humans have been dropping at an increasing rate in recent decades, reports National Geographic.

(without putting too fine a point on it) is there any parallel data on trends of ejaculates per day (or hour)? that is, perhaps it’s just constant production spread out over a larger volume …so to speak. ("wait… “National Geographic”??)

6 Likes

Skinny jeans. No, seriously.

9 Likes

Yikes. Gilead draws ever nearer the horizon. :pleading_face:

9 Likes

We have been (ahem) sowing the seeds of our own decline for at least a century.

10 Likes

This calls for more testicle-tanning machines.

24 Likes

Declining sperm count is just one red flag.

The fossil record shows us that everything goes extinct eventually. Almost all species that ever lived, over 99.9 percent, are extinct.

Carpe diem kids!

14 Likes

surprised it took this many replies to get to “tucker’s testicle tanning tower”!
thank you, good sir.

16 Likes

Some visionaries have the answer.

14 Likes

If it were just humans, I would agree. We are rapidly making our world unfit for complex life of any sort. Yes, ourselves included, but it is still s shitty thing to do to the planet.

14 Likes

Monsanto is going to start charging us for birth control.

2 Likes

Fertility decline?

12 Likes