Sphinx head discovered in California desert

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/12/06/sphinx-head-discovered-in-cali.html

9 Likes

See! Jan Brewer was right! The desert is littered with heads! Gotta build a wall to keep the heads out!

(What’s the highest wall a head can scale? A few inches, right?)

2 Likes

Is it still eatable?

1 Like

Yes, but is a shape with lion body and the head of a man, a gaze blank and pitiless as the Sun, moving its slow thighs? Because if so the best lack all conviction while the worst are full of passionate intensity, and probably some rough beast, its hour come round at last, is slouching towards Bethlehem to be born.

11 Likes

Although they found it by saying, “hey! Let’s go to that ongoing archaeological dig at the old silent movie site and see what turns up this time around.”

They let you drive around on the beach sand right up to the water. It’s kind of fun. Lots of clam chowder, but the clams are no longer local. They’re from Mexico generally.

I like the Boardwalk Empire liquor bottle stuff. Hadn’t heard about that before.

“Alright Mr. DeMille, I’m ready for my close-up”

9 Likes

Not on that beach (unless it has changed recently) I grew up in that hood (about 20 mins north) and Pismo/Oceano Beach (where you can drive on) north of the Guadalupe-Nipomo dunes this shoot was at is a different area.

And to the original headline…are sand dunes at a beach considered a desert?

4 Likes

Project idea:

1. Spread rumor about Lost Ark of the Covenant in Nipomo Dunes
  2. Make bronze medallions
  3. Give medallions to Nazis
  4. Sell shovels to Nazis
  5. $$$
12 Likes
  1. Laugh with your friend as you both exclaim “THEY’RE DIGGING IN THE WRONG PLACE!”
12 Likes

Hey, what didn’t happen to the nose!?

8 Likes

“Look on my works, ye mighty and despair.”

7 Likes

It also has four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon, three in the evening, and none right now because we can’t find the rest.

10 Likes

…And take a selfie.

2 Likes

There’s no way the could have built it way back then without help given the tools they had.

5 Likes

It’s all the same general area to me.

1 Like

You don’t GIVE the medallions to the Nazis. You trick the Nazis into trying to snatch them while they’re still dangerously hot.

sick-burn

4 Likes

As a local, you couldn’t be more wrong :wink: It’s like being in the Bronx and claiming you are in downtown Manhattan.

But my main beef is with your “driving on the beach” aspect. Just go look at that same map in satellite mode. You can clearly see where the cars start, and where they stop. There are MILES between where the cars are allowed and where this location is.

and as for the lack of actual clams, you can blame Bugs Bunny for that one.

1 Like

You’re saying DeMille had some kind of assistance providing the skilled labor to build those monuments?

10 Likes

Just wait until the rampaging Egyptian god-monsters show up! And then the murders will begin…

(Yup, it’s a crappy-yet-kinda-enjoyable SyFy movie. But it starts with the discovery of this movie set…)

2 Likes

But I’m not a local. So that makes me right enough.

If someone takes the time to drive to one of those locations, I’ll definitely say, “Hey, while you’re there, check out the other.”