Spider-Woman cover that sparked outrage, and forced Marvel to apologize heads to auction

Leave Chris Evans alone!! :sob::sob::sob::sob:

The skeleton really does show how piss-poor that drawing is.

8 Likes

Here’s a better shopped version. I wish they did the whole movie like this and called it “The Incredible Captain”.

12 Likes

The current run of Spider-Woman is pretty good thus far. Definitely some rebooting going on, but its quite a nice storyline.

3 Likes

In fairness Spider-man is also drawn in some awkward not possible positions. For both of them its supposed to be about their limberness and flexibility like an arachnid.

But certainly there are plenty of other examples of “normal” female characters who are drawn similarly for obvious reasons.

8 Likes

That’s only part of the issue; Peter Parker isn’t usually drawn to look nude and we rarely see so much emphasis on his derrière. You shouldn’t be able to see her ass crack like that unless she’s wearing body paint.

And we know this particular artist considered that pose erotic because it looks almost exactly the same as one of his own famous pieces of sexually explicit art.

10 Likes

No argument from me on that, but I will say I could dig up some pencils of Spidey where yeah…it’s showing similarly showy parts.

POINT! Euclid rolls…

It does update the meaning of “Hulk smash!” to fit the current slang, though I’d hate to be within earshot.

4 Likes

Manara is a standard in Heavy Metal. It’s like asking the Pope to do the centerfold of Hustler, you get what you pay for.

3 Likes

The human form in Joel-Peter Witkin’s art is more realistic.

How about naked Batman comics (NSFW!)?

2 Likes

It’s not fair to show this out of context. It makes sense if you have all of the pages.

3 Likes

NSFW

ETA: Doh! I owe @NukeML a coke.

9 Likes

I have to say, most of the art on auction is much better than the Spider Woman cover. It seems kind of phoned in by comparison.

6 Likes

Marvel does not deserve the art of Manara

1 Like

So maybe Rob Liefeld was making a subtle criticism of America’s Petro-Terrorism? :thinking:

Dear lord.

Yeah, I have seen Manara’s work before, and this just reeks of uninspired paycheck work done because some high-level dork at Marvel (secretly) reads Manara’s comic erotica.

3 Likes

That’s a bit of a reach but I do admire your enthusiasm :grin:

4 Likes