Spies, Lies and Realpolitik

2 Likes
3 Likes

US Army journal’s top paper from 2021 says Taiwan should destroy TSMC if China invades

A top US Army War College paper suggests Taiwan should credibly threaten to eradicate its semiconductor industry if threatened by China so that Beijing would no longer be interested in unification.

The US Army War College showed the paper was its most popular of the year, when it revealed it topped a list of the most downloaded papers of 2021 from its quarterly academic journal Parameters .

[…]

Link to paper (PDF).

The second through 10th most downloaded papers for the year can be found here.

2 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

Just a harmless trawler. Nothing to see here. Move along.

2 Likes

2 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

I see a video game concept here-- the adversary telegraphs his intensions, and it’s your job to thhwart those. Kind of like this puzzle.

EAT PEANUTS, GET TOWEL, REMOVE GOWN, PUT GOWN ON HOOK, PUT TOWEL OVER DRAIN, GET SATCHEL, PUT SATCHEL IN FRONT OF PANEL, PUT JUNK MAIL ON SATCHEL, PRESS DISPENSER BUTTON, GET ALL, DROP SATCHEL, PRESS SWITCH.

2 Likes
1 Like

It just affects US diplomats and CIA personnel. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yep. Yes. Yes indeed. Yeppers.

2 Likes

Make everything secret, make everyone get a secret clearance, then next thing you know nothing is secret.

6 Likes

Not paywalled…

Paywalled…

2 Likes

If you can, you should really read Lilith Wittmann’s original articles. It’s a fascinating piece of OSINT investigation into phantom agencies in Germany. The air tag thing is only a coda that proves what she had already known at that point.

ETA: I find it fascinating that the majority of comments on Appleinsider are critical of Wittmann’s actions here. I don’t know whether that says something about the average Apple user but something tells me this wouldn’t be the case on a Linux forum. Maybe not even a Windows one.

Apparently the Appleinsider hive mind thinks it’s OK to have an unaccountable agency without a budget (and therefore presumably without direct parliamentary oversight) that monitors telecommunications

4 Likes