Sportscaster not happy to help cover blizzard

Originally published at: Sportscaster not happy to help cover blizzard | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Frankly there’s no need to have weather reporters on-scene either, it’s just a dumb and needlessly dangerous ritual we’re all so accustomed to that we never question it anymore.

In a saner world these kinds of reports would just be given by a meteorologist sitting behind a desk in a TV studio somewhere, maybe supplemented with some live footage from traffic cameras. But the TV networks don’t seem to think anyone will believe them unless there’s a reporter on the ground freezing their ass off or wading through floodwaters or standing directly in the path of the tornado.

19 Likes

Say “No.” and then hang up the phone or do not answer.

4 Likes

I can’t really fault the guy for doing it since his job may have been on the line but I do appreciate how he called out how ridiculous the task he was being asked to perform was (“standing out here in the freezing cold so I can warn others not to do the same…”)

16 Likes

So why has a US snow report video got the London Evening Standard newspaper logo slapped all over it?

I guess this is what passes for global news these days. :wink:

3 Likes

Part of this stuff is a hangover from the days when the eyewitness was the only “reliable” source. And with current state of deepfakes and AI generated content, we may be on the way back to that. Remember when the camera didn’t lie?
Also, it shows how devoted the organization is to getting “the real stuff”. Once reporters started showing live footage from war zones, everybody had to up their game.

4 Likes

It seems pretty clear to me that this is a “bit”, and a pretty hilarious one at that IMO. More entertaining than the vast majority of weather segments.

6 Likes

Unfake news.

3 Likes
10 Likes

The good news is I can still feel my face. The bad news is, I kinda wish I didn’t.

This is good.

7 Likes

He could green screen his way out of this while at home. Use stock footage of areas that ‘mirror’ conditions for that day. Of course, he’d have to isolate and lock up any pets; don’t want to get photobombed by his canary while covering a hurricane.

3 Likes

Yeah, this reporter had a great time, too: :grimacing:

Every time I see the outdoor coverage during a snowstorm or hurricane, two things come to mind:

Maybe one day the insurance company for the stations that do this will get them to stop. :woman_shrugging:t4:

5 Likes

That’s what the Daily Show usually does in this kind of situation and they usually get the point across just fine.

5 Likes

Not speaking of myself, but that is so, so incredibly smart! :wink:

4 Likes
6 Likes

No.

4 Likes

Is this flake news?

/s

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.