Squirrel transports pizza slice to parallel dimension

You from the Ozarks?

1 Like

I think the author somehow doesnā€™t realise that this species is in fact known for storing huge amounts of food in its cheeks. I was waiting for a sped-up moment when the entire pizza disappeared.

I mean, cute, sure, but the headline led me to expect something spectacular. This wasnā€™t anything like that.

3 Likes

The UK hardly has red squirrels any more. The imported greys have supplanted them in all of England and Wales except for a few refugia. They can really only be found in Scotland and Northern Ireland now.

So, thereā€™s another reason for Scotland to separate, eh?

2 Likes

Ditto.

I was kind of expecting the punch line to crop up at 0:51, when the chipmunk turns rearward and raises its tail, but it seems we were spared.

Previously:

gray squirrels? what is this ā€˜grey squirrelsā€™ people keep talking about? around my house we have black squirrels.

::cough, cough::

Melanistic variation of the Eastern Grey squirrel. They tend to form a majority of the grey squirrel population wherever they take hold. We have both varieties here in Eastern Ontario, but the black squirrels do predominate.

1 Like

The common name originally may have been spelled ā€œchitmunk,ā€ from the native Odawa (Ottawa) word jidmoonh, meaning ā€œred squirrelā€ (cf. Ojibwe, ajidamoo).[7][8] The earliest form cited in the Oxford English Dictionary (from 1842) is ā€œchipmonk,ā€ however, ā€œchipmunkā€ appears in several books from the 1820s and 1830s.[9]
Other early forms include ā€œchipmuckā€ and ā€œchipminck,ā€ and in the 1830s
they were also referred to as ā€œchip squirrels;ā€ probably in reference to
the sound they make. In the mid-1800s, John James Audubon and his sons, included a lithograph of the chipmunk in their Viviparous Quadrupeds of North America, calling it the ā€œChipping Squirrel [or] Hackee.ā€[10]
Chipmunks have also been referred to as ā€œstriped squirrels,ā€
ā€œchippers,ā€ ā€œmunks,ā€ ā€œtimber tigers,ā€ or ā€œground squirrelsā€ (although
the name ā€œground squirrelā€ usually refers to other squirrels, such as
those of the genus Spermophilus).

How wild and independent is urban ā€œwildlifeā€ ?

Dunno. I live in an old, well-settled residential area right next to downtown Ottawa (i.e., the neighbourhood is part of the city proper), and weā€™ve got squirrels, chipmunks, a tribe of raccoons, a few skunks and some rabbits on the block. They certainly are well-adapted, though.

Are those the squirrels with the thin, bald tails; the long whiskers and the big front teeth?
I think those are roof-rabbits.

1 Like

If hipsters can stretch their earlobes to hold a spool of thread, then you too, my friend, can have cheek pouches that could hold a can of beer.

2 Likes

Oh, you have brought much joy and inspiration on this dreary afternoon.
I suppose with a properly shaped insert that I can extend a wee bit each day, I can eventually develop pockets that reach down the side of my neck.
Just need to think of a proper cleaning procedure first.

I suppose that it just might help in the bedroom as well ā€“ hey baby!

When the cheek pouches can hold more than the volume of the critter to which the cheek pouches are attached, it goes to the TARDIS theory of blogworthiness.

My name is @davide405 and I approve of this thread.

curtsies in respect.

1 Like

If the tree rats did that with my pizza, I think Iā€™d load up my shotgun with rock salt and nails.

Birdshot. And then, gourmet sausages!

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.