St. Vincent and The Roots covers the Portishead trip hop classic, Glory Box

Originally published at: St. Vincent and The Roots covers the Portishead trip hop classic, Glory Box | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I saw this the other night! It’s excellent!

4 Likes

Man, I love Portishead. And this, this is great.

5 Likes

An excellent cover, though I’m still partial to the original. One of those songs I love to drop in a mix with some Fiona Apple, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Willis, and other acts led by powerful female singers with smokey voices.

4 Likes

I don’t hate Fallon like a lot of people seem to, but do find him kind of annoying at times. The fact that he got The Roots to be his house band still blows my mind. This is a great example of why.

1 Like

Yeah, same here; seeing St Vincent and Portishead/Glory Box in the same sentence immediately got my attention. I’ve seen Annie tour with David Byrne, and the performance was mesmerising, she’s such a versatile musician, so I had no doubt her interpretation of Glory Box would be amazing. Not disappointed, it would be great if this performance was released as a download.
It’s also way past time Portishead released some new music as well, although Geoff Barrow is keeping himself busy with BEAK>, new music might mean live performances of his main project. I’ve been lucky enough to have seen Portishead at least half a dozen times, they’re based in Bristol, only about thirty miles from me, so usually play local gigs for the local fan base. Not holding my breath, though!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.