Star Trekkin' was a horrible novelty song

This is part of a long tradition of UK “summer holidays” novelty songs/earworms, and – far from horrible – it is fantastic. (The one from the year before, the Spitting Image Chicken Song, is my favorite. It references Agadoo, which is so bad I won’t provide a link.)

8 Likes

Hard to believe that was only a year before, but I suppose time passes slower when one is young. The one from the year after, Doctorin’ the Tardis, is my favourite.

6 Likes

Ditto that, loved the song on Doctor D, never knew there was a video.

Was that only '87? I didn’t think I was even still listening to Dr. Demento that late, would have thought it was earlier.

2 Likes

I remember and agree completely.

1 Like

Another Dr. Demento listener here. I loved this song, personally (my second favorite from those days, after The Plastic Neo-Pseudo-Fascist Bastards’ “We Shot the New Kids on the Block”).

I can’t say that my life has been greatly enriched by watching the video, though.

1 Like

May I direct you all here:

2 Likes

This song and video were pretty popular in New Zealand also. I loved it as a young child.

2 Likes

Who disses my nostalgia, as a pebble disturbs the stillness of a pond?

5 Likes

Makes my want to pull out my eyes and stuff them in my ear holes.

3 Likes

Well it’s not Ed Grubberman, that’s for sure.

3 Likes

[quote=“Beanolini, post:21, topic:61572, full:true”]
Hard to believe that was only a year before, but I suppose time passes slower when one is young. The one from the year after, [Doctorin’ the Tardis][1], is my favourite. [/quote]

I’m trying to imagine British tourists humming that on the beaches of Ibiza. An amusing image.

1 Like

Well, it’s the KLF. Of course it’s good - even if it’s also kind of terrible.

3 Likes

Well, deep down it’s still just that goddamn Gary Glitter song, so…

1 Like

We can blame the terribleness on Gary Glitter.

1 Like

Not nearly as amusing as this:

4 Likes

Given that none of Gary Glitter’s vocals actually featured, we could be charitable and call it Mike Leander’s.

There were rumours at the time (or soon after) that the KLF were also responsible for Star Trekkin’. Make of that what you will.

FWIW, there have been a number of journal articles and papers titled “It’s [X] But Not As We Know It”, but they didn’t start appearing until after this song came out. The phrase itself was never actually uttered in ST.

***=== The More You Know ==>>

In case no one else noticed, at :54 and 2:40 you can see the only known footage of a Dalek without his space suit on.

3 Likes

Always enjoyed this from my time listening to Doctor Demento, never saw the video though.

I added a new entry there …