Star Wars Cantina song performed on classical guitar

From wookipedia

The Return of the Jedi novelization introduced the term “jizz-wailer” to describe a musician, but the term “jizz” as the name of the musical style was not introduced until the publication of Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina , twelve years later.

so maybe James Kahn coined the term?
Maybe it’s all revealed in Star Was Insider 160 & 161?

Then there’s the other Star Wars Cantina Song…

7 Likes

Whoa!

Cincinnati

Incredibly.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure calling it “jizz” came from the novelizations – I think specifically for what Max Rebo was playing in Jedi, not what the bald aliens were playing in the cantina. So probably Alan Dean Foster rather than Lucas is the coiner. I’m not sure if that makes it canon. Foster also had Luke & Leia be a couple in his (pre-ESB) Splinter of the Mind’s Eye

Checks notes…

According to Wookipedia, Max Rebo played with his feet. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

That’s one of those things that changed from concept to final puppet and then the toy came along and confused it even more. Yeah originally he’s supposed to be sitting on a pad on level with the keyboard and his legs play the keys. The final puppet the angle of his legs make them look more like arms. Then the toy came out that added a lower body. I’ll take wookipedia’s word for it that they toys were just sculpted wrong. Ha.

2 Likes

I’m half a century old and heard Yakety Sax (I guess Axe?) so many times - not least of which were on Benny Hill - and never knew there were words. They aren’t bad either!

1 Like

wikipedia says that it was originally written for the Sax (which goes a long towards explaining why it has no lyrics), but Atkins plays an axe, thus the change of name.

2 Likes

I’m more into Snootles’s early stuff, when he was still with Piss Chunx

3 Likes

Right, as Jerwin noted the song is Yakkity Sax, but the same way a violin becomes a fiddle depending on what music is being played, Yakkity Sax becomes Yakkity Axe on guitar. So technically Yakkity Sax still has no lyrics, I guess, as the lyrics are very guitar-specific.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.