Star Wars: The Force Awakens just became the highest grossing film of all time in U.S. history

Not sure why you’d yell at the screen there… it’s canon. They’re not going to change it just because wannabe-pedants are confused about what it means. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I doubt it - way fewer people had any kind of access to electricity in 1939.

Spaceballs the flamethrower?

5 Likes

Han’s response to that was one of my favourite moments the first time I saw the movie (now seen it 3 times in theatres). And the retconned explanation from the previous no-longer-canon EU books is good enough, for my pedant trigger.

How I know they’re on the right track with the new Star Wars: George Lucas didn’t like it.

4 Likes

When she said 14 I, and several others in the theater, yelled out 12, right in time with the other character who corrected her. It was the type of kneejerk fan service call / response that worked for me.

2 Likes

I haven’t hit the theaters yet here in China, but from what I hear, movies generally have subtitles. I think this is fairly common even for Chinese language films, so the films can be understood across all “dialects.”

I know an American who saw one of the Marvel films over here, and it was all in the original language, which means (since he doesn’t read Chinese or speak French) he had no idea what was happening during the bit in France.

2 Likes

What I want to know is she knew all about that and the owner of said thing, and had even been on board, but didn’t recognize it?

2 Likes

Maybe the new owner called it the Centennial Chicken or something, and she didn’t know any better?

3 Likes

It’s actually interesting that (from the movies, at least, I don’t know the expanded universe) almost everything that people know in Star Wars is through oral history. I don’t recall seeing a single book, or seeing anyone look at a single photograph or even a drawing. A galaxy where people fly spaceships but, as far as I can tell, barely read.

I’m sure you can prove me wrong and find someone thumbing through a book, or a picture tacked on a wall (especially in eps I-III, which I’ve erased from memory), but I think the point is valid that Rey could have heard all sorts of stories of the millennium falcon and not have any idea what it was supposed to look like.

To me it’s the same as the oddity that, in episode IV, you can have major players of the Empire using the Force on a daily basis, and still have well-travelled, intelligent people like Han Solo dismiss it as a myth. No one has video cameras, except the odd droid, so if all your stories are oral history, it’s reasonable to assume that most of what you hear is exaggerated.

Are we actually worried that people who haven’t seen this and are stupid enough to read this far down a thread are going to be annoyed about spoilers?

3 Likes

Note that the Millennium Falcon, while modified for Han’s smuggling operations, was still just a Corellian YT-1300 light freighter. Of which many were made. I can’t recall from the old EU canon if there was anything that would specifically make the Falcon stand out vs any other YT-1300 light freighter. But at the same time, she knew that Unkar Plutt stole it from the Erwin Boys, who stole it from Duquesne, but she didn’t know that Duquesne stole it from Han? Or maybe she DID hear that it was THE Millennium Falcon and that Duquesne had stolen it from Han, but didn’t believe it?

I like using spoiler tags, even though they’re almost certainly unnecessary.

Note that most of the people who only hear things through oral history seem to be uneducated folks (farmers, like Luke, or scavenger orphans, like Rey). I think most folks in the Star Wars galaxy use things like tablets and computers for all their readin’s.

I think it’s more odd in the prequels, where Jedi seem to be errand-boys for the Republic, than it is in the Episode IV time. At that point, there’s only two (generally) known force users in the whole galaxy, the Emperor and Vader. And how many people actually ever encounter either of them? You think the police are bad about the public recording their actions in America, imagine an innocent bystander recording Vader force choking somebody, and how they would be treated? Or people trying to pass such things around an Empire-controlled equivalent of the internet? I agree that it’s still a little bit far fetched that EVERYBODY seems to have completely forgotten about the Jedi in the 20ish years between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope, but I’m ok with a little bit of handwavery around this stuff (there’s plenty of stuff I had issue with in Force Awakens, and I’ve still seen it three times in theatres).

It’s not like there were millions of jedi, either. More like a few thousand, at most. The odds any person from a planet far from Coruscant ever witnessing a jedi use the force must’ve been fairly slim.

naysayers are no fun

1 Like

2 Likes

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

1 Like

Not US, worldwide.

Avatar took a very high percentage of its revenue outside of the US - about 3/4 of it.

Though I imagine in the Republic era, seeing a Jedi on the “intergalactic news” or what-have-you wouldn’t have been an impossibility, though.

The only mass communication I’ve seen or heard mentioned has been in Rebels. The protagonists took over a radio (of some sort) broadcast facility to send out a pro-rebel message.

I believe in Rebels they did indeed take over a local broadcasting station… But Rebels also featured HoloNet broadcasts, like the HoloNet News broadcast that was hijacked by Gall Trayvis in some episodes.

I work in New York City. This means I have a reasonable chance of seeing a celebrity. What invariably happens when one is around and someone mentions it to me is that I will then argue with that person and use the phrase “Why would they be here, that’s ridiculous.”

I’m pretty sure she would say the same thing about something that famous. “No way, why would it be on this jerkwater planet?”

2 Likes

I never claimed that I’ve been watching Rebels as intently as possible. :wink: Mostly I’m trying to keep up with the key plot points while my son watches it, usually as I’m making dinner.