Start 2021 as an electrical engineer with this training for less than $20

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/23/start-2021-as-an-electrical-engineer-with-this-training-for-less-than-20.html

I generally just ignore all posts from the “store” but this is just shameful. The people who are naive enough to believe this headline are not the people who can afford to be ripped off for $20. That said I can’t imagine there is ANYONE in the boingboing audience who would fall for this.

24 Likes

I usually just say “don’t buy this this is stupid”

But becoming an EE for $18

This must be a glitch in the matrix.

13 Likes

The lack of calculus’ courses makes this at most a technician (high-school) level bundle.
And, even at that level it seems that there are some basic things missing, like electromagnetism and digital electronics.

I have no idea who assemble that course, but they also have no idea of what each topic is about, because even the images for each course are not related to the contents.

This seems even worse than the courses who promise that you will become a programmer after a few lessons.

9 Likes

“Start 2021 as a neurosurgeon with this first aid course for less than $20”

15 Likes

Agreed. I really hope BB stops this insane commercialization, but until they come to their senses there’s the Boing Boing Shop Killer. Gets rid of the Boing Boing Shop for Chrome and Firefox.

Has made the site readable again for me.

7 Likes

Oooh, @wrybread you’re my hero! Though I suppose now I’ll loose the joy of mocking the bbstore posts. Worthwhile sacrifice.

4 Likes

I’m an electrical engineer. It took four years of Uni, several summers’ worth of industrial placements, tuition fees in the order of $40K, some really really hard maths, but hey, you can probably buy a MATLAB student licence for $20, and you’re on your way.

12 Likes

Seems legit, a bargain at twice the price. I’ll take two so I can finish twice as fast! /s :wink:

8 Likes

Wow, what a sentence.

It’s not saying that EE is a marketable skill, it’s saying that the need for engineers is a marketable skill. I think somebody needs to pay $20 for ad copywriting training!

Also, I’ve never heard anyone describe EE as the “understanding and facilitation of electricity requirements”, but I haven’t yet spent $20 on this EE training, so what do I know?

ETA:

Ummmm, the image for the “Fundamentals of Inverters in Power Electronics” course is a Eurorack synthesizer :thinking:

6 Likes

This isn’t EE. This is Electrician work. And you can get paid while you learn if you join the IBEW.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t trust any electrician that only took an $18 course any more than I would trust an electrical engineer only who did the same so I guess it all balances out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 Likes

Wanted to join in the snark, but too tired. Did find this interesting little site.

Par for the course at the BBStore. Recently they were selling Cisco training with a picture of a competing product. Probably because Cisco gear is so rare that there’s no pictures of it.

6 Likes

And by 2021! Even if that’s December 31 2021, that’s kind of…accelerated.

4 Likes

The coffee you’ll need is going to blow the $20 budget right out of the water

3 Likes

Quicker to just stay at a Holiday Inn Express for a night. Probably results in about the same level of expertise as buying this BB Shop offering and comes with a continental breakfast… :thinking:

6 Likes

And in a little more than a month!

2 Likes

The headline says start 2021… so it really only is a month.

And yes, this is an “article” where I have no regrets about only reading the headline.

1 Like

Would be a good April fools day joke to put actually useful trainings and products on the BB Store. Like learn how to help Xeni link to comments in her posts. Learn how to maximize the value of your advertising space with products that people click for reasons other than to mock.

5 Likes