State lawmakers want children to work in bars on school nights to fill "labor shortage" caused by people refusing to work for a pittance

Doesn’t seem like the most plausible use case. You can make life cheap; but probably not cheap enough to compensate for the risk to capital equipment which is not.

4 Likes

No I just never considered someone could study bars as part of that, but now that I think of it, of course, why not.

I have the impression that many / most bar owners are not wealthy and many bars and restaurants struggle to stay open. I know Covid did a number on bars and I see many many shuttered former bars around my area, including one very nice brewery that I’m sure someone invested a lot of money in, and it’s gone. I looked up the economics of owning a bar and it’s hundreds of thousands of dollars of investment to start, the risks are high, it’s a lot of work for the owner (at least until it’s very successful) and the profit (income to the owner) is pretty low, at least in the early stages. I would not want to be a bar owner or investor, that’s certain. The few people I know who have invested in bars / restaurants had 100% loss within a couple years.

This whole topic isn’t really about bars; that’s misdirection. It’s about child labor and endangerment, and about the ongoing, coordinated efforts to degrade workers’ rights and reverse gains in wage growth.

14 Likes

Weird how some folks always seem to want to do this:

11 Likes

COMING SOON: automated drone logging :robot: :evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

If Musk made child-like worker robots for red states…

1 Like
4 Likes

It’s likely all of those things, but there’s also a real labour shortage. There are an estimated 3 million US workers absent from the labour force currently due to severe long-COVID symptoms rendering them unable to work.

1 Like

Yes, and also being unable to get child/elder care to cover working hours.

13 Likes

part of that i think is the advantage given to corporate chains. they have the economies of scale that monopoly law should have prevented, and didn’t.

if the big stores - and amazon - had to pay the real costs that everyone else has to, the smaller stores wouldn’t be so pressed to compete on one of the very few things they have control over: labor

11 Likes

This is also a factor, certainly. The most vulnerable elderly population often functions as unpaid childcare for working families. Their absence or becoming disabled and in need of care themselves obviously contributes a certain amount to younger healthy parents dropping out of the workforce due to the lack of affordable child care, especially at the low end of the wage market where potential earnings can’t make up for the costs.

1 Like

Thanks for explaining that to me.

6 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

9 Likes

Apologies that came off as assuming you didn’t already know what you were saying. There’s a fine line between expanding on what you said for the benefit of others who might not have immediately groked what you were talking about and sounding like I didn’t think you knew what you were talking about that I obviously crossed.

1 Like

Generally speaking, I find that adding in some language at the beginning of your comment to let the person you’re replying to know that you’re not talking over them, but are looking to add to their comment, is helpful. Like “I agree with that, and to add to what you said…” etc…

11 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.