Staughton Lynd, 1929-2022

Originally published at: Staughton Lynd, 1929-2022 | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Thanks for including obits for Staughton Lynd here. I found out who he was via Chomsky and Zinn. His activist life still inspires continue to do so. During my decade-long autodidact crash course in labor history and REAL American history, it was people like him who kept me sane.

7 Likes

Because I was educated under capitalist white supremacist colonizer patriarchy , I was not acquainted with Lynd or his work until now. Thanks for rectifying that.

6 Likes

One thing the obits don’t really capture is how active he remained locally, even well after the time it was reasonable. You could hardly organize a lefty summit or speaker series without someone suggesting they could call him, and he would show pretty often. There are a lot of tears around the city this month and I’m just as sure that he would be calling on all of us to follow Joe Hill’s advice, don’t mourn organize.

5 Likes

SPELMAN - WITH ONE “L”
Yes, I’m being pedantic.

4 Likes

Wow, this is very helpful and useful – including the links for further reading. Thanks very much for posting this!

3 Likes

His parents wrote a classic American sociology text, Middletown.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.