Steak-umm goes to war (again) with Neil deGrasse Tyson r

gjEZJvr

15 Likes

I can’t say i’m a fan of Tyson, I wouldn’t go as far to say that whatever he says is bad for science though. He’s done a lot as a communicator, i just don’t care for his public persona and over-reliance on witticisms. Personally i prefer to get my science from other venues and people that don’t rely on getting perfect sound bites and “slamming” critics.

3 Likes

I thought his “Cosmos” reboot was pretty good and did a great job explaining complex scientific topics in ways laypeople could understand.

13 Likes

That’s true, at least in non-Twitter forms of communication, but that definitely doesn’t mean that NDT is always a helpful presence on Twitter.

4 Likes

I think maybe you just don’t like twitter? Or maybe I am projecting here and that’s just me. But I think he does a reasonably good job of tailoring the detail and tone to the format, whether it is a twitter beef, a 5 minute section on a talk show, or the new cosmos show. I love a good graduate level science lecture but it isn’t appropriate for all audiences and all venues.

2 Likes

If only the people who used to warn society about TV rotting people’s brains had any inkling of what Twitter had in store for us.

7 Likes

They’d probably be unironically Tweeting their hearts out about the evils of TV. Luckily we BBS posters can see both platforms for what they are.

2 Likes

Steak-Umm’s Twitter person has directly addressed this aspect of corporate social media. Thread:

9 Likes

OK, they did that twice in this thread. I am thinking a not-typo, then.

7 Likes

Nope, when they see an opportunity for a meaty pun, they chuck it in.

10 Likes

clara-see-what

5 Likes

“You don’t have to understand the science of how they are made to appreciate the taste of Steak-umms!”

1 Like

I mean, they were being dicks about the math/word-play, but… yeah.

So, this is basically just meta advertising. At least they are honest about it, I guess.

1 Like

‘Steakums’ are fucking gross and from what I understand, on occasion so has been NDT.

There’s no winner in this “beef”… it’s just dumb.

12 Likes

I’m sticking with the first thing I imagined which is a meat based Post-it note.

9 Likes

But which has done more for people who need an extra second to think of what they want to say without ceding the floor.

I think you misspelled “meat advertising” (*). But yes!

(* /s)

4 Likes

Yeah i dont care for Twitter in certain scenarios, and science communication i think is the worst in that medium. Still i don’t particularly enjoy his style overall, there are other people that i prefer to learn from :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’d use that. Unless it’s pork. No pork.

1 Like