Steak-umm goes to war (again) with Neil deGrasse Tyson r

It’s a museum. Its primary purpose is communication with the public. Once you start to regard the “public understanding of science” as outside its baliwick, there’s not much left.

Ah well, I get most of my astrophysical news from 60 symbols/Deep Sky, Dr Becky, and PBS spacetime. Not sure that Tyson’s twitter account, even if it was consistently space focused, would add much.

Well, I might be in the minority here, but I still like Neil DeGrasse Tyson. And scientific theories and laws (laws being generalizations less “true” than theories) are still the truest things you can say about the nature of the universe. Pointing out that “science” isn’t “true” may be correct but rather pedantic. I also wonder about people just saying that to promote their “alternative beliefs”.

As to whatever’s up with Steak-umm, I have no comment.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The point is if you accept that anything can be “true”, it’s science. Yes, it changes as information does, but that is absolutely unlike religion or politics where information never changes anything.

Don’t know if it’s regional or what, but I had never heard of them until this week. I did enjoy the Twitter exchange and commentary.

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/status/1381920628417163270?s=20

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.