Stephen Fry to David Cameron and IOC: a Russian 2014 Olympics would be a repeat of the 1936 Berlin games

From another forum someone mentioned that the key people in the IOC have already been paid off; there’s no way they’re going piss off Russian Billionaires.

1 Like

I’ve seen people try to use Godwin’s Law to shut down discussion of human rights abuses where no one had mentioned Hitler yet.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure they became organized uniformed paramilitaries when the Weimar government hired them to crush the Spartakists.

Thus, we should not boycott the 2014 Winter Olympics because other bad things have happened. Did I get that right?

5 Likes

I’m sure the contracts are well enough written that any ethical policies wouldn’t be violated by a lucrative business deal.

Isnt it clear, that the best thing to do for Musicians at least, is to get their music banned from all TV and radio in Russia, by speaking up and supporting human rights in their music?

You cant stop kids from getting their music online, but the best way to make a stink is to get banned on visible media.

I dont suppose Hollywood Studios would do anything, but at least many musicians can speak for themselves?

That would certainly explain the 2012 Olympics.

“…last 10 years”? Um… we’ve been murdering folk in all four corners of the globe for far longer than that; lets say 200 years as a ball park figure for widespread, concerted carnage and 1,000 years for beastliness closer to home.

1 Like

That word is not in my authorised vocabulary.

Using Godwin’s Law to end arguments docent make any sense, as was pointed out to me recently when i tried it - Godwin’s law only loosely tests weather a discussion is taking place on the internet, it docent annul the topic.

We really should reclaim Hitler and the Holocaust for the people.

Thats an interesting point which i came to after reading some Russian history, it seams their culture just dosent function well without a tyrant at its apex.
This begs the question: did Communism break Russia or did Russia break Communism, or does Communism remain untested because its gestation is too fertile an incubator for tyranny.

which begs an unrelated question: is there an alternative law concerning mentioning communism in an internet debate.

If only Putin would finally come out of the closet himself; I mean, horse riding stripped to the waist, all that alfresco bathing and martial arts, he’s got to be covering up.

Russia didn’t change much in the last couple of years. I could name one other country that got freaky/scary quite fast in the last 10 years…

3 Likes

Are we talking about the Olympics whose comitee was, for decades, presided by Franco’s former Sports Minister Juan Antonio Samaranch? I actually believe '36 to be the peak point of the olympic idea: nations fighting against nations in a hedonistic idealization of human strenght. The whole thing is a big faschfest in itself, promoting the dehumanization of beings to artificial performance monsters through the use of drugs and hormones, so why bother?

1 Like

The most recent change that is going to happen is the reduction of the judical system… New proposal is going to make it optional to consider the evidence, or to prove that a crime happen at all… So-called “special” jury, that needs only one thing to put someone in jail - the word of the accuser… Jury has the right to dismiss any evidence against the accusation in this “special” jury…

Do you say Nazi?..

Vladimir Putin recently rammed through legislation that bans being gay

heh, I see what you did there.

While I agree with everything Stephen Fry says, why now? Where was he in 2008? The IOC supported a totalitarian regime that beats, detains, aborts, arrests and executes at will - surely worse than turning the other way while crimes are committed, horrible though that is. It’s a shame that it comes down to identity politics instead of wider empathy.

this the same UK that denied the overturning of Alan Turnings conviction? http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2012/02/07/uk-denies-alan-turing-postumous-pardon-for-homosexuality/ i’m all or GLBT rights, but lets not forget the UK has a lot to answer for too.

I just saw an interview with George Takei, who was advocating moving the winter Olympics to Vancouver. It sounds like a good idea. Russia has laws criminalizing any behavior that “promotes” homosexuality. Anyone wearing a rainbow wristband, anyone kissing or holding hands with a same sex partner are at risk of arrest. Keeping the Olympics in Russia puts thousands of athletes, supporters, and tourists in danger.