Stephen Fry to David Cameron and IOC: a Russian 2014 Olympics would be a repeat of the 1936 Berlin games

If it doesn’t get moved, will the LGBT athletes boycott?

I agree that is how it should be used, but generally people invoke it them moment someone says “Nazi” (or “Germany”).

Stephen Fry isn’t “the UK” and the Tu Quoque fallacy is considered a fallacy because, surprisingly, it is fallacious.

3 Likes

Because a LOT has changed within the last 5 years when it comes to LGBT rights in the United States. You see it in the professional sports world, too.

Russia is not Germany as Anthrax is not Malaria… are you trying to make a distinction without a difference?

I don’t think that Russia will have death camps for gay people but really I don’t think that for logistical reasons (you can’t trace gayness through heredity). But the world will have death camps again one day, and Russia is a pretty good candidate - who are they going after once they drive all the remaining homosexuals completely into the closet?

I personally think when people point to the failure of communism they are ignoring the fact that every communist government seems to also be a murderous dictatorship. Compare how well communist countries did to non-communist murderous dictatorships and they actually didn’t fare so badly.

1 Like

I can’t “Like” this comment a million hundred times, can I?

I really don’t know what can be done here. I already don’t watch the Olympics/participate. I suppose I could write an angry letter, but Stephen Fry just did it better and with far more impact.

I’m absolutely not shrugging helplessly: I’m honestly asking, what now?

Wait, what? Stephen Fry is now the UK?

All humans compartmentalize to some degree. And we’re all hypocrites.

1 Like

I’m saying Stephen Fry could have started with his own country’s sins, which might have legitimized his Nazi argument against the Russians. Instead, hI e just comes off as a hypocrite: murdering brown people is okay but hating homosexuals is not.

I have boycotted all the Olympics for several years. They are boring, insipid, jingoistic, endlessly and hopelessly corrupt, and expensive. The poor citizens of the countries which host the Olympics are put in hoc for taxes for years and years afterwards to pay for the pageantry, which is theft as far as I’m concerned. I respect the athletes who want to represent their country and culture but the rest of it is just crony bullshit.

I’m sorry, I missed where Stephen Fry said that murdering brown people is OK. Could you provide a link?

2 Likes

The link is the one above, where he treats brown people government murdering David Cameron as a moral authority, but not Vladimir Putin, who’s country did not participate in the wholesale slaughter of brown people in Iraq and Afghanistan, so fuck Stephen Fry and fuck his high horse. Start with the sins of your own before you go making jingoistic statements about other’s sins.

Yes, indeed, Russia never placed troops of any kind in Afghanistan. A model of international harmony.

Stephen Fry has, in fact, regularly and constantly criticized UK involvement in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, but I am still at a bit of a loss to understand your reasoning. I’m curious: How far back does Mr Fry have to go before he is allowed to comment on current events? Suez Crisis? Boer War? Cromwell in Ireland?

1 Like

“stephen fry isn’t the uk”
claps
now go home, ur drunk.

I… I am drunk…

1 Like

I don’t know many Russians, but those few I know are the nicest people. I get angry, too, when I see pictures like the above, but over-generalizations at the cost of Russians won’t help anyone.

Nope, they hired the Freikorps which were illegal paramilitary units comprised mainly of World War veterans - and the NSDAP started out with the SA (“Saalschutz”, “Hall Security”) as a uniformed unit from the very beginning in the beer halls and taverns of Munich, later expanding into Prussia which had a largely authoritarian culture valuing uniforms, orders, and order like few others. Germany turned to commit one of the worst, if not the single worst, war and genocide in human history, but you really can’t blame it of not doing it well organized.

so it may not be the best form of government yet discovered, but its the best murderous dictatorship… i guess as long as your good at something

I’m not sure where the “nope” comes from. The Weimar government hired the Freikorps; the Freikorps were already organized uniformed paramilitaries and the worst ones already hated Jews; and some Freikorps members later joined the Nazis. Didn’t they target both the left and the Jewish community in pogroms/massacres in Berlin and Munich?

Also, I though SA stood for ‘storm battalion’ not ‘hall security.’