Steve Bannon pretty much declares war on the free press

Hmmm, gee, whatsoever could be the reason…

One of my favorite journalistic quotes: “Government’s cock won’t suck itself, that’s what a free and independent press is for”.

Remember back when the newspaper business started collapsing and there were calls for new sorts of public/government funding for the press and licensing of journalists (because bloggers). I hope everyone has learned the lesson on why that was a terrible idea.

7 Likes

Agreed. Luke Skywalker was pegged to be the one to bring balance back to the force, but “the one” was actually vader all along.

In the long run, the US may just be a better country when this is all history?

2 Likes

Unless you’re one of the poor bastards from Alderaan.

15 Likes
25 Likes

Well I’m just about ready to secede. Who’s with me?

13 Likes

One more Boogie Man to scare the people with, to be placed beside “terror” and “American carnage.”

1 Like

“The media should be embarrassed and humiliated and keep its mouth shut and just listen for awhile. […] The media here is the opposition party."

FOD, you fucking Nazi fuck.

8 Likes

looking at his pictures, it’s just the liquor talking.

That guy would never get a life insurance policy.

4 Likes

Bring it on i say, we all need to stand up to these fucks.

We’re off to a good start and it hasn’t been a week yet…

23 Likes

Well, we all know how it worked out for Streicher in the end…

2 Likes

I was, but damned if @crenquisresistance thread didn’t stir up my inner fighter. My thoughts had been locked on where to move next; now my mind is focused on how to move next.

13 Likes

Someone should ask him if he believes in freedom of the press.

I’m just curious what kind of bullshit will spray out his mouth when he’s asked.

I’m also pretty sure the Trump Presidency is going to crash and burn faster than George W. Bush did: it took the bungling of federal response to hurricane Katrina to finally expose what should have been obvious from Iraq, but the entire State Department staff quitting (or were they fired?) means it’s going to be nothing but greenhorns running US diplomacy under Trump. Face it, Trump needs the press to shut up or he’s going to be exposed at every turn.

The “elite media” is the kid pointing out the emperor is naked in a certain children’s book.

10 Likes

I’m thinking you meant to type ‘bogeyman’ here, except then I remembered a track on an album by some old friends of mine (“The secret life of Abraham Lincoln”) about the BoogieMan. Something about “he’s coming down the hallway, he’s coming down the hall, the BoogieMan’ll get you, he’ll discovate you all”.

It somehow seems apposite.

3 Likes

Drive a wedge between them!

“Hey! That’s my spotlight!”

10 Likes

Annnd… there’s the official Steve Bannon slur.

9 Likes

https://storify.com/solv17/on-hannah-arendt-s-the-origins-of

23 Likes

Consider Mexico.
I understand there is going to be a huge wall that will keep Trump contained.

14 Likes

“What the Nazis were doing was not describing what was true, but what would have to be true to justify what they planned to do next”

One of the most chilling and eye-opening observations of this administration’s behavior I’ve read yet.

24 Likes

[in English, because I’ve yet to learn Spanish]

Miguel Ángel Osorio Chong, the Mexican Secretary of the Interior, confers with President Enrique Peña Nieto:

Chong: U.S. nationals are continuing to challenge our border security. Many are claiming political asylum but without additional background checks it will remain difficult to discern the asylum-seekers from those simply seeking work.

Nieto: We have more than enough of our own looking for work. Just bounce them all.

Chong: I understand, but how exactly does that square with our professed ideals of an economical union with our neighbors?

Nieto: The president of our northern neighbor thinks economic union means them spending billions of their citizens’ hard-lost tax dollars on unnecessary, ineffective, one-way border security and then sending us a bill. That’s not the thinking of a businessman, that’s early-stage dementia.

12 Likes

There was a surprising article in the Times explaining the process by which they arrived at the conclusion that calling Trump’s lies “LIES” rather than some mealymouthed euphemism was actually good journalism. A step in the right direction.

14 Likes