Steve Wozniak launching a new private space company

Originally published at: Steve Wozniak launching a new private space company | Boing Boing

5 Likes

If the space ship is made of cardboard and in his basement, I still want a ride.

13 Likes

Woz does, ah, know what a privateer is, right?

12 Likes

Early prototype looks promising…

spaceship_final

17 Likes

Bill Gates won’t be far behind.

But, really, enough, guys. Just take your money and do something good for the world.

7 Likes

Space Pirate Amazon Ninja Catgirls

11 Likes

Of course, he is going to loot the rockets for the other billionaires. To be a privateer rather than just a pirate I guess he needs a licence from a government.

13 Likes

TBH, I’d be here for that. In all seriousness though, I realize he probably went with it because of his open source advocacy. Still, live by the rocket, die by the rocket. :metal:

6 Likes

I’m glad this is happening. We totally need more of these.

12 Likes

@pesco On your pull quote, you repeated it twice.

3 Likes

Is it me or is the entire monologue fundamentally at odds with the name of the company?

twotimes

6 Likes
1 Like

and if the rocket doesn’t work, you just lift it up a few feet and drop it, right?

1 Like

Wow this feels soooooo necessary. :roll_eyes:

He should work on a space elevator project. Step 1, start building tall, thin spires to offer inexpensive, reliable internet that doesn’t interfere with astronomy. Step 2, start working upwards.

Essentially copy Skunk, I mean Musk, but without the asshattery.

Yes, yes, technical problems won’t make this feasible, etc. etc. Skunk said the same thing and look at that weasel today.

2 Likes

I wanted to be an astronaut as a kid but then I grew up. I guess the difference between me and a rich person is that they can afford to not grow up.

7 Likes

It looks like from the company website, they’re based in Hawaii. Is he going to make the island into a launch pad ala Syndrome in “Incredibles”?

2 Likes

Another website read into it saying Woz wanted to clean up space.

Andy Griffith did it first.

9 Likes

They seemed to lean on the “let’s protect the planet from global warming” angle pretty heavily for a company that is presumably going to be dumping huge amounts of fossil fuels into the atmosphere with those giant rockets.

Are there any space technologies on the foreseeable horizon that don’t make climate change worse? I know people have been toying with the idea of space-based solar power for a while but I don’t think that’s anywhere near feasible yet.

3 Likes