Stop motion animation of stop motion master Ray Harryhausen

[Read the post]

2 Likes

I was about 11 years old when I saw Jason and the Argonauts for the 1st time. I remember thinking during this skeleton scene that it would have been really funny if Gumby popped up out of one of those holes.

3 Likes

Time lapse loop of stop motion master Ray Harryhausen

:+1:

Harryhausen: verb
to move in a stylized jerky motion
“He harryhausened across the floor and scared the cat.”

(from an issue of Starlog, I think credit goes to David Jerrold)

1 Like

I had the honor of meeting the great Ray Harryhausen, back in 1981, and managed to get his autograph. We got to hear him speak about working on Jason and the Argonauts, The 7th Voyage of Sinbad, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers. The Golden Voyage of Sinbad, and others. He said that after making Mighty Joe Young, he would avoid working with any fur-covered creatures from then on. It’s next to impossible to manipulate the figures for each frame, without your fingers leaving an indention on the fur. When people asked about it, he would just say it was caused by Joe’s mighty, rippling muscles.

He also had with him several of the models he used in various films, such as the mechanical owl from the original Clash of the Titans, Medusa from Jason and the Argonauts, and a few others. Plus, we got to see an advanced showing of Clash of the Titans weeks before it hit the theaters.

4 Likes

He looks so lifelike!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.