Supercut of every stop-motion monster Ray Harryhausen ever animated

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/13/a-supercut-of-every-stop-motio.html

10 Likes

Oh yeah - I needed that right now. Thanks!

11 Likes

15 Likes

The giant walrus was an unexpected delight.

6 Likes

And the amazing Tito Puente with that wonderful percussion.

10 Likes

Ah, Ray Harryhausen… …they don’t make them like that any more.

8 Likes

I remember all but the squirrel.

4 Likes

Wow, I am such a nerd/fan/admirer of Harryhausen. I have seen all of the films in that clip except:

1 Like

From 3 Worlds of Gulliver.

2 Likes

An issue of Starlog in the early 1980ies had a cartoon(?) that proposed to use Harryhausen as a verb, as in to harryhausen = to move in a very peculiar way (can’t remember the exact definition).

1 Like

I am leaving this on my screen as a permanent loop - forever.

3 Likes

Aww. I remember going out to the ILM facility when they were at San Rafael, to demonstrate a colour system that could convert scanned film images to video, and back; which they used for the new Star Wars films. I had to fly home on Thursday, early. I was told Ray Harryhausen used to come over for coffee on Thursdays, and natter with film people and see what was new. I did wonder about changing my flight, and see him, but didn’t.

I have never forgotten the skeletons in Sinbad. A great man.

5 Likes

Thanks!

And this, by the criminally ignored Ladislas Starevich (this from 1937). He even successfully simulated motion-blur.

4 Likes

The tested folk were talking about a short film that has a lovely homage to harryhausen and the skels in jason and the argonauts. It’s beautifully shot as well, with actual stop motion…

4 Likes

I once got to see a presentation by the Pixar folks who talked about consulting with Harryhausen when they were making Monsters Inc., it was adorable how they were obviously still geeking out over having the opportunity to meet him.

One of the greatest bits of wisdom he shared about designing and animating creatures was “Remember; they’re only ‘monsters’ when you make them angry.”

5 Likes

So once I watch the 3 World of Gulliver my Harryhausen film journey will be complete. I think I was sick that matinee Saturday.

3 Likes

When I was a kid I loved “Jason and the Argonauts”,

4 Likes

I seem to recall you (?) posted about Starevich last time Harryhausen came up here. Keep on doing so - this stuff (credited to Ladislas AND Irene Starevich, interestingly) may actually be technically better. Seems somehow smoother than some of Harryhausen’s work.

If only there were an English translation/subtitled version. (I tried turning on English subtitles on YT, but no go.)

ETA - eventually managed to wrangle the settings to show auto-generated French-English subtitles. Joy! And puzzlement - the AI ain’t up to it yet but combination of spoken French comprehension and subtitles gets me there.

3 Likes

Modern animators have not forgotten him

Filmmaker Terry Gilliam ranks The Mascot among > the ten best animated movies of all time.

In 2005, Xavier Kawa-Topor and Jean Rubak joined three Starewitch short films in a feature film, with music by Jean-Marie Senia. The film, entitled Tales of the Magical Clock , contributes to the recognition by the press and the public of Starewitch Engineering.

> In 2009, Wes Anderson paid homage to Le Roman de Renard in Fantastic Mr. Fox.

In 2012, a new film by Ladislas Starevich was reconstituted Fetish 33-12. This is the original version of the film The Mascot , the 1933 film about 1000 m, but decreased by 600 m distributors by the time.

In 2014, the town of Fontenay-sous-Bois and service Documentation Archive with the family Martin-Starewich organized projections of Ladislas Starewich films in municipal Kosmos cinema with the release of all the preserved films, more than 7 hours on two projection days.

Now you have given me something to research and look for online! Wow. Time for me to find compilations of his work.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.