Stop taking your phone into the bathroom

Originally published at: Stop taking your phone into the bathroom | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Sheesh BoingBoing, enough with the shitposting!

44 Likes

They’re really plumbing the depths here.

29 Likes

No more swiping right?
Ew.

33 Likes

Even before phones* I’ve always had to take something in to read (even a shampoo bottle if necessary). And when business is done, it’s done. Ten minutes. It’s not like you flush the reading materials, you can continue reading after washing up.

*I should probably use some term like “handheld computer” or something

6 Likes

Sheesh. Eat some fibre dude.

2 Likes

This is good advice as long as there’s nothing outside the bathroom that you’re taking refuge from. Annoying co-workers both doing less than you and getting praised more than you, five bosses stopping by every 20 minutes telling you you could be doing better, well-meaning co-workers who just blather on and can’t leave you alone… a game of Sudoku, checking a feed that others would frown upon, or just a quick note to someone you care about, it’s definitely worth it to have a phone in the bathroom and take your time.

10 Likes

At home, I could easily lose an hour on the toilet

I find posting to be much quicker and easier from a real keyboard (ie, not the bathroom).
Shitposting, you’re doing it wrong.

2 Likes

I can see using a phone in the bathroom as reading material but what I don’t get is making an actual call.

I’ve heard people in the stall carrying on a conversation right through the flush. I rarely use a public stall because I have issues and on the very rare, like maybe once a year, occasion I do I’m too busy worried about touching anything in there, a phone is the last thing I’d pull out in the bathroom.

Couple days ago I got to test my theory about being on hold with tech support. I was on hold resolving an ip issue with a website I manage, they said give them 5 minutes, perfect because I had to pee. It took less than 5 minutes…

3 Likes

Reduces time in the bathroom.

Returns to his desk to browse the internet for an hour.

Seriously, unless there’s a line at the door waiting for you, who is harmed by this behavior? No, I don’t generally take my phone in there, but I usually have reading material (books of “interesting facts” are best, since articles are short and you can stop at the end of one). All I see this doing is shaming folks for relaxing in whatever way they shit fit… see shit… see fit.

And my work here is done…

13 Likes

You and me both. Even slide-out phone keyboards are far slower than a full-size keyboard for me. Phones are fine for short messages, but not for anything much longer than a tweet.

2 Likes

I’ll just leave this here.

6 Likes

I have an acquaintance for whom it is always 1 minute or less. Always. It explains (correlation? causation?) why he’s so damn tense and uptight all the time.

5 Likes

In the bathroom one takes the newspaper, possibly the sports newspaper.
It could also double as a backup in case of toilet paper roll failure.

2 Likes

It won’t wash, you know (this attempt to keep phones out of the bathroom).
It’s just papering over the cracks.

7 Likes
  • Don’t take your phone into the bathroom.
  • Take your phone into the bathroom.
  • Compromise by turning off the camera.

0 voters

7 Likes

:flushed: Gosh there must be some serious splashback from going so fast.

Probably doesn’t take any reading material in with him.

3 Likes

Came here to look for this warning. Not disappointed.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a good thing that we’re all straining together here to flush out this crap advice.

8 Likes

I have personally learned piles of information on the can.

6 Likes