Stop telling women to smile

I know I do. I find it helps me, and those around me laugh at the daily craziness of life.

1 Like

//cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/7/b/7b360d55aef51edabccd417c8dee3e1f46cefe5b.gif

[credit where due][1] :wink:

4 Likes

Whadda you lookin’ at?!

1 Like

I call Lifestyle–movie reviews, restaurants, and fashion.

2 Likes

Just call it The Milliefinker. Need a good masthead now. :wink:

4 Likes

It takes more energy to change state.

With this at the center, plz

7 Likes

I live near Bath, in England, which is part of a developed area with a number of towns. It is noticeable that as you move West into the more rural parts, people are more likely to wave/talk. If I had to acknowledge everybody I see in town, that would be hundreds of people. In a village in Somerset or Devon, that might be a handful.

So I think your explanation is correct.

1 Like

Not necessarily psychic energy, though.

1 Like

Let’s not forget it has to be the right kind of smile. I remember the shit Cherie Booth QC got when her husband was Prime Minister.

3 Likes

Now that looks like a woman who’s been told she really “needs” to smile.

The only addendum I’d add to this argument is that cultural history matters too.

I live on the south side of Chicago. We nod or say basic pleasantries as we pass strangers on the street. The manners are very southern here, for obvious historical reason.

On the north side, the same behavior would be suspect. It’s all the same big city, but the heritage of each neighborhood makes all the difference.

2 Likes

Several times a day, for ten years, for newspapers who liked to forget she had achieved anything other than being Tony Blairs wife.

3 Likes

A quick review of her actual achievements might suggest to unkind persons that the most significant and profitable of them was marrying Mr. Blair.

Why, to be fair, those two fuckers deserve more shit than they’ll ever get…

True, but in the battle between Tony and Cherie vs the Daily Mail I’ll cautiously side with them.

Tough choice though, innit?

2 Likes

Sadly, when I replied to the FB posting of this article, I was laughed at, made fun of, and harassed for saying that this was one of the most important things for women to stand up for and men to recognize what it means when they do this.

It’s so much more than a smile: it’s a power struggle, a dominance issue, and in the context it’s being presented with this project, it is absolutely designed to make women feel subservient.

I was disappointed but sadly not surprised at how many men and women ripped me apart for agreeing with this project. I finally deleted the entire dialogue when a guy wrote, “You really need to smile more, Clara” as a joke.

9 Likes

Ack!

A number of years ago my wife mentioned to me that it was really, really getting on her nerves that so many men would tell (not ask) her to smile. My reaction at the time was, “… They do?”. I didn’t know it was a problem cause strange men never did it when I was around.

Power struggle indeed, and very rooted in old stereotypes and patriarchy.

9 Likes