Please stop asking us to smile

Originally published at: Please stop asking us to smile | Boing Boing

17 Likes

Kyle Mooney Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

She’s got a bright future ahead of her…

27 Likes

When I was a teen I maliciously complied with these misogynistic demands for me to smile. This is what I really wanted to do:
Broad City Smile GIF

26 Likes

soul eater anime GIF

8 Likes

:heart: this

6 Likes

25 Likes

Harley Quinn

4 Likes

Came here for Wednesday, was not disappointed.

7 Likes

I think if the men who demand women smile were constantly surrounded by women smiling like this girl, they’d quickly stop. Probably because they were having a nervous breakdown, as being surrounded by people smiling like that would be incredibly nerve-racking…

3 Likes

Was the performance required?
If so, then I approve of everyone’s actions.

If it was something child volunteered for, being a dead fish on stage is letting you’re friends down, and being rude to THEM, rather than sticking it to the man.

5 Likes

We had a meeting once where a ‘trainer’ said that if you aren’t smiling in a public service position, you should be; anything else is ‘resting bitchface’.

1. We were still in COVID times, and 90% of us were wearing masks. Who can tell, MF??
  2. ‘Resting bitchface’?!?!? Really???!!!
16 Likes

Isn’t a better question, Did the performance require smiling?

10 Likes

The fruit didn’t fall far from the tree. Mum and daughter look like excellent, happy mutants.

@MadLibrarian Was the trainer… a man?

5 Likes

I am smiling, RIGHT NOW.

I do miss Papasan, right now.

13 Likes

Bad Day Smile GIF by Teachers on TV Land

I miss him too !

12 Likes

I feel like girls and women should have a terrifying, disgusting or otherwise unpleasant “smile” they can deploy for inappropriate requests. Or just quote Black Dynamite: I Am Smiling - YouTube

3 Likes

What gave it away? /s

8 Likes

I wonder what he is doing RIGHT NOW?

11 Likes

LOL, thanks I needed that! ^____^

2 Likes

Yes, I’m sure that will never end in getting the shit beaten out of us by angry men… /s

9 Likes