Strange, cringeworthy, and WTF album covers. Share your favorites

I’d say this one is the undisputed king of “WTF?”:

8 Likes

I can see what they’re going for. I’d recommend a trombone, euphonium or tuba, instead of a french horn and trumpet though.

1 Like

Would you suggest a… rusty trombone?

4 Likes

Hey, as long as everyone’s up to date on their DTaP boosters :wink:

2 Likes

Silver Convention. Admittedly a very shapely model, but why?

1 Like

The number of LPs that have been released with naked women on the front is staggering. I think nearly every album by Italian sax player Fausto Papetti from the early 70’s on has a topless woman on the front.

That looks like it would have been an extremely fun photo shoot.

2 Likes

Maybe he really needed to practice on his french horn without disturbing the neighbors and lost his silencer.

3 Likes

I suspect that the nakedness is a very 70s thing?

I only bought a handful of LPs before CDs became the more popular choice, so my collection is highly skewed towards 80s, 90s, and 00s with rather less from the 70s so that cover (part of an acquired job lot) stands out.

Here’s a great 1990s Mosaic throwback

No words for this one…

3 Likes

I was pretty much waiting for that one. I don’t know why I find it so funny, but it’s very funny.

3 Likes

I think he was really trying to reach for his sound, and needed something a little extra to give his horn some funk.

Technically with a horn it would be a mute, and traditionally with french horn it is a matter of taking your fist and…

You know what, nevermind

10 Likes

[edit: maybe comedy albums shouldn’t count, since they are often designed to be “WTF?”]

4 Likes

For me, a lot of the humor is derived from the intense look on his face, like he really is just trying to play a very difficult piece of music. [edit: of course he could just be smelling something funky.]

2 Likes

2 Likes

Wow, there are no words.

Almost like this one:

I actually own this album and it wasn’t until weeks later that I actually looked – like really looked, at the album art and then had that “ewww” moment.

1 Like

It seems to have started in the 70’s yes, though I think I have a couple LPs from the 60’s with semi-risque covers.

Here’s another album I’ve owned. The cover itself is already pretty ridiculous (I sure seem to have an inordinate amount of album covers featuring oral sex):

Once I saw a picture of the album cover turned upside down, it became hilarious:

6 Likes

To pick an obvious example:

1 Like