Strategies for nodding during meetings

[Read the post]

I need to send this to my coworker who, instead of nodding, seems to always shake her head no even when she is agreeing with you. It is SO offputting.

5 Likes

@pesco I fixed the blank title, but you or maybe @jlw will need to put it back to the Boing category.

4 Likes

May one assume that she is not from America? Not everybody nods the same way.

2 Likes

My God! Why did they not teach these skills in my high school?

2 Likes

Dammit. I came here looking for tips on taking naps during meetings, not tips on pretending to be more engaged!

12 Likes

Internalizing other culture’s body language can take a bit (it did for me), this took me a while to learn:

4 Likes

I’m glad they left off the ass-kisser, laughing nod that’s usually reserved for “all hands” meetings with the big bosses.

2 Likes

Oh, I really need this.

[note sarcasm]

1 Like
5 Likes

My general meeting nodding technique.

edit: My nod usually has a more Bidenesque subtlety:

4 Likes

Sometimes it helps to understand why - in the Indian case it’s considered rude to say “No”. This is actually the #1 example I use when working with cross-cultural teams.

Project “Rome 2.0”

Scenario 1

American liaison: Can this be done in one day?
Indian team lead: Yes!

Scenario 2

American liaison: How long will this take?
Indian team lead: Many years…

:smile:

1 Like

invisible forehead pong

8 Likes

This is cynical shitty disingenuous shit, the kind of shitty shit that makes it despairing and shitty to be a human being.

Learn shorthand. It’s a fantastic skill in meetings, if you want to put someone off their game make eye contact with them while directly recording every word they say. Works a treat.

1 Like
3 Likes

that note taking nod also including the ooh good finger point. you gotta notice stuff like that.

Ergo: people who nod like this are to be mistrusted.

1 Like

This is me every time I have a conversation with a member of my family. Just nod and keep smiling. We’re in England, eventually they’ll feel the urge to go make a cup of tea and then I can make my escape!

2 Likes