Street interviews: what Chinese think of white foreigners

Now I want to watch that! Is it any good? Maybe it’s just the way the picture happened to catch him, but his expression looks very appropriately Monkey to me.

I somehow didn’t know there was a TV show, which probably shatters any illusion people might have had that I actually know what I’m talking about. Oops.

There are so many Monkey King movies, books, films and other media that it’s probably impossible for me to watch them all!

4 Likes

I guess it isn’t on the air anymore, but this is how it looked on Ni Hao, Kai-Lan:

6 Likes

It must have been the best part of forty years ago, so I really can’t say. I seem to recall it was pretty exciting, but also, to my somewhat parochial child’s mind, extremely weird, what with Monkey hatching from an egg in the opening credits, the peaches of immortality business, and what happened to poor Pigsy. Incipient hormones were also pointing out, in a way I was still finding confusing, that the actress in the main female role was extremely pretty.

I just Wikipedia’d it and it turns out it was a Japanese production, though filmed in China: I saw the BBC’s English dub.

6 Likes

Context, my dear. The sentence following the one you chose was instrumental in what I was trying to say.

Tone, dear.

1 Like

Oh you, worrying that pretty little head of yours again!

4 Likes

What’s that make, the second or third time, just today?

I feel a theme song coming on:

5 Likes

I apologize.

“My dear” was shorthand for “with all due respect” and I do respect you. I probably know more about you than some of the main site contributors because you’re always putting yourself out there and I appreciate that.

Please don’t take what I’m saying as an attack. You asked a question and I earnestly tried to give you an answer I hoped you would appreciate. When you latched on to my premise rather than my argument, I felt I had failed.

I only wished to steer your attention to what I was getting at.

5 Likes

“Brevity is the soul of wit.”

~W. Shakespeare

­

Sometimes, keeping it simple goes a long way to help avoid misunderstandings.

No harm, no foul.

3 Likes

Brevity is what got me trouble in the first place. :wink:

5 Likes

I sincerely hope future generation of all colors do enjoy the same privilege as I do today. Or rather than being a privilege it’s just normal and expected regardless of race. If I could flip a switch today that makes the world treat everyone equally, fairly, and with dignity, I would.

7 Likes

No that is pretty much standard appearance for Sun-Wu-Kong the Monkey King elaborated well by @Medievalist he can also create multiple copies of himself, change his shape, and walk on the clouds/fly.
The first 2 of the current films are out in the US on DVD now. I was sad Donnie Yen was not playing him in the 2nd film.

All based on what can be bought here in 4 volumes as The Journey To The West

Also there are 4 Shaw Brothers films (which should be on youtube somewhere) from the late 60s that are great fun and an animated film of the Princess Iron Fan story from the 1941. The Monkey King is a serious part of Chinese culture.

The only western world analogy I can think of is King Arthur but it really isn’t the same thing.

6 Likes

Immigrants are a self-selecting group. You have to be pretty ambitious to try to make a life on the other side of the world, whichever direction you go.

8 Likes

Well said. In the words of one of the greatest “cultural appropriators” of the last century,

4 Likes

In the first week after we were handed our 13-month-old daughter in China, we were viewing the Chen Family Temple in Guangzhou, and an Asian woman from San Francisco looked at our daughter’s large eyes (which I think were just wide open because she was seeing so much new stuff after spending her first year in a quiet orphanage) and told us that was good, because we “wouldn’t have to get cosmetic surgery on them.”

We were a bit flabbergasted, but we just smiled and nodded as if we would have even considered a thing like that.

6 Likes

Yes, and when our daughter finally did have a meltdown in front of, say, her aunt, then that actually meant that she had accepted her aunt as “family” on a rather basic level. People she never drops her guard around are not inside that fence.

(I’m “replying to several posts at once” now, adding in things that don’t really fit in the comment but which apparently make the blog software happier. The “like” this comment received applied to the part before this parenthetical note.)

We went over twice, and it was clear that people were aware of us. In Wuxi, I’d hear someone shout “Hello!” on the street, and turn and not see anyone looking at me. I’d say “Hello” and wave at the general direction it came from and keep on doing whatever I was doing. It was not a major city by any stretch, but it was a university town that had students from all over, so we wouldn’t have been the only Anglo types anyone had seen. There was generally someone around who spoke some English, it seemed, and even if no one did, there would be someone who would help a confused couple in small ways. When we were in a crowded restaurant, we were motioned over to a table by folks who were about to leave, and who indicated we should sit there. We were very grateful.

Ten years later, we visited larger cities like Beijing, and in the course of that trip, a half dozen Chinese people asked us to pose with them while they took selfies. In Lashan, our ricksha driver apparently found me comically overweight (5’9", 200 pounds, roughly), though I did not laugh along with him. Some jokes I can take, but not “Hey! You are fat!”

8 Likes

The customers want a native speaker and they can be tricked into thinking that a white person is a native speaker. An Asian person (doesn’t even have to be someone of specifically Chinese background) will be assumed to be someone more local. One can’t even say, “Listen to her accent. Does she sound like she’s from here?” “She must be from another part of China.”

This must vary from place to place. My city here is gunning for first-tier status and things generally look good. There are definitely run down areas, but even there I get the impression that effort is made to not let things get worse.

1 Like

I want to see the video.

3 Likes
  1. Where do you live?

2. Maybe they are in older areas?

Here is they video they talk about it, while riding through what looks like some of the more sorta rural parts, with older buildings, including stuff that was half finished and just left.

Then again, if you compared the average up keep in certain areas of KC it is MUCH worse than other areas. Even worse in parts of Oklahoma I have been through.

2 Likes

Brings to mind the Chinese cemetery in Ipoh, Malaysia. Its a huge place, and nobody goes there to look after it because the Chinese hate dealing with anything about death. As a result its a little plot of wilderness in the middle of the city. I walked over a hill to take a pee and found a herd of buffalo.

4 Likes