Stripping the music from this 'Spider-Man 3' scene makes it even more uncomfortable to watch

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/23/stripping-the-music-from-this.html

The very first two spider man movies were OK. Every single one since then, we’ve bailed a few minutes in because either boring or downright bad.

It doesn’t help that on screen, Peter Parker isn’t a very likable person.

I really hated Tobey M as spiderman. Then and now.

Tom Holland nails the naivety and awkwardness brilliantly.

8 Likes

I think that while not perfect, Spider-Man Homecoming finally got the personality of Peter Parker right. He’s a smart and enthusiastic guy with a subversive sense of humor.

13 Likes

Now change his face to Pharma Bro.

4 Likes

Wasn’t that the point of the scene?

13 Likes

Never saw spiderman 3, and I didn’t realize that the infamous dance sequence was cross-cut with a “Peter becomes a dick” montage… It not nearly as bad as I thought, especially since it’s supposed to be bad in the text of the film. Still its hard to get past how creepy Toby McGuire is in general

3 Likes

These clips didn’t show the Jazz Club dance scene though: https://youtu.be/iX23r272kqg?t=1m27s

1 Like

If you think Venom-infected Peter Parker without music is ridiculous, Sony is about to release a new Venom movie that omits any mention of Spider-Man.

6 Likes

I thought Shkreli was in jail?

4 Likes

He looks like he just lost his virginity.

Haha, ok; that’s pretty bad.

So less like Unfinished Sympathy

And more likely to end up like Bittersweet Symphony

Maybe Shkreliman could do with a bucket of Vindaloo

6 Likes

Am I the only one who thought everyone in that scene seemed like a cocky douchebag?

I saw the affluenza kid Ethan Couch

1 Like

They cut out the part where he compares the height of his heels with ones in a store wndow. :thinking:

If they didn’t keep shouting England, I’d think it was a nightmare scene from Trainspotting. :wink:

1 Like

They were all Scotland/Hibs fans in Trainspotting. A bunch of people marching down the street chanting England is a nightmare for them.

3 Likes

Indeed. Yet people seem to miss that completely.

3 Likes

Okay. So with the music and particularly the intercut scenes of him being a douche, he comes off as a douche. But without the music or intercut scenes, he just looks like some weirdo strutting down sidewalk (oddly full of conventionally good-looking young women), dancing horribly and getting a little too enthusiastic about his new threads.

1 Like