Stubby multi-bit screw and nut driver fits in tight spaces

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/28/stubby-multi-bit-screw-and-nut.html

2 Likes

Stubby multi-bit screw and nut driver fits in tight spaces

4 Likes

1 Like

It’s rather difficult to find a photo that shows all the parts of this tool. Klein has a video that shows most of it, but it doesn’t show all the blades removed from the nutdriver sleeve.

Whatever happened to product photographers who knew how to take pictures of products so you can see what they are?

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong; Klein makes good tools, I have a few of them (their 2100-9 snips are pretty much the industry standard for telco snips).

I’ll hang on to the stubby bit driver I have (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004A910HO) and the box of 1/4" bits I have; That does the bulk of what I need to do.

1 Like

lots of alternatives to the Klein - Picquic stubby is my fav

2 Likes

I’m more of an Xcelite stubby type of guy:

3 Likes

Seconded (although it doesn’t have the 5/16" nut driver if that’s a dealbreaker).

https://www.amazon.ca/Picquic-91002-Multi-Bit-Screwdriver-Carded/dp/B01KZ0AQ4O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1538163677&sr=8-1&keywords=picquic+stubby

Holds 6 standard 1/4" bits, and will fit any others you may need. Selection varies by country (Canada gets the Robertson bits, the US gets a Torx.) Unlike some multi-bit stubbies I have used, it’s as short as a fixed-bit.

2 Likes

As a kid I worked as an electrician’s helper, and all the guys’ hand tools were Klein. Except mine. Back then, my hand tools were whatever I could find or borrow. Now I’m all growed up and the tools I buy for myself and my children are mostly Klein. This stubby screwdriver was the tool I bought first for both of my kids.

I keep a Klein 10-in-1 in the kitchen drawer, the store, and both vehicles, plus one at my work bench. As a maintenance man in the early 2000s, that was the only screwdriver I carried.

I don’t seem to use stubby screwdrivers in my office, although I seem to be using all of these…

2 Likes

That one is nice too, but comes with smaller bits - I use it for electronics work. The Klein would be more useful for wood and sheet metal screws, etc.

1 Like

No, no, I’m quite sure you are confusing the Picquic Stubby with the Picquic Tiny Turner. That has smaller bits like you would typically find in a “precision” screwdriver set.

1 Like

I didn’t realize there was a large version too - good to know!

1 Like

@lava beat me to it. Yes the Stubby takes regular full size bits. The Teeny Turner is the one you are thinking of.

1 Like

it’s amazing how what’s on netflix shapes the meme landscape.

this title made me more think of “The Todd”

2 Likes

You were looking for a small screwdriver and didn’t consider Klein?

Klein literally means “Small” in German.

A small Klein Screwdriver is redundant.
It’s like saying Chai Tea.

1 Like

For really tight spaces, my dad has one of these:

Which today I learnt is called an “offset ratchet screwdriver”. You only need about 2cm of space above the head of the screw to use it. It’s been a bloody lifesaver sometimes, and now I know what it’s called I can buy my own.

3 Likes

I once had to buy two of those ratcheting screwdrivers to replace a part in our telescope’s wobbling secondary mirror. I’d make one ratchet against the other so that the screw would turn even when it didn’t have enough back pressure to make the ratchet work. I also added 10 inch long extension handles to fit the tool deep into the assembly. The little screws under the curved top reflector…

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.