Student blocks deportation of Afghan asylum-seeker by refusing to sit down and let the plane take off

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/25/we-shall-not-be-moved.html

11 Likes

Good for her.

Fist

49 Likes

Good thing she wasn’t on American Airlines. Or really, American soil for that matter.

Good for her, very brave.

37 Likes

It’s almost as if those Swedes won’t shoot anyone!

21 Likes

Fucking legend.

12 Likes

English Guy:

“What about all these children? You, YOU are frightening.”

Ahh… the classic “Won’t somebody please think of the children!!!”
It’s never about the children, you coward.

32 Likes

The Swedish government is performatively demonstrating its toughness by deporting asylum-seekers in the runup to an election.

This does not demonstrate toughness. It demonstrates craven submission to the far right.

21 Likes

I am English, and I would like to apologise for that twat on behalf of all of us here on Crisis Island.

23 Likes

Elin Ersson is a 21 year old Swedish social work student

Kick Ass Mofo Level: Achieved

19 Likes

Elin Ersson is a 21 year old Swedish social work student who boarded a plane at Gothenburg airport yesterday and refused to sit down until an Afghan asylum-seeker who was to be deported that day was offloaded and allowed to remain in Sweden wait for the next available flight.

Editing mine.

“You do it once or twice, and if it doesn’t work we rent a private plane to send them back to Afghanistan, or wherever,” the spokesperson said.

Just looking at this realistically, folks.

8 Likes

Doesn’t mean you should not protest or make it easy for them.

24 Likes

I don’t disagree in the slightest.

12 Likes

Elin,

I wish I had the bravery and strength to do what you did.

5 Likes

No apology needed, if we start playing that game, well, I’m a USAian… I think I’d loose.

2 Likes

Seriously. Here’s how it goes down in a less developed country: She disrupts flight. Four (4) Homeland Security brutes come in and drag her off plane. She is charged with a federal felony that is so open-ended, there is no maximum penalty (since its the same one they use for hijacking). Even if she beats that, she still goes on the No Fly list.

6 Likes

What? I thought the police is supposed to pull you out and beat you - or is that just Asian doctors?

God/Goddess/Gaia/Galaxy bless her. I’d like to think I would have also stood up in solidarity if I were on that plane.

1 Like

I’d like to think the same, but under threat of 20 years in a USA prison (and therefore a felony on my record), I’m fairly sure I wouldn’t.

Any news on why he was being deported? The girl in the video just assumes that since he’s going to Afghanistan, they’re sending him back to “hell”.

The refugee system needs to be able to send some people back if it is to have any credibility. Interfering with the ability to ever make a negative call on a refugee claimant undermines the entire system.

That being said, the woman’s courage, either civil or just straight out, is admirable!

2 Likes