Student body president at University of Florida is facing impeachment proceedings over payments to Donald Trump Jr

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/14/student-body-president-at-univ.html

6 Likes

University of Florida, all of them really, need to look carefully at these weaponized far right speakers.

22 Likes

It honestly took me a lot of willpower not to turn this into a 3,000 word rant about the conservative stunt machine bankrolled by billionaires to deliberately delegitimize higher education.

25 Likes

I predict this young man will go far in the Republican Party and I wish I was joking about that.

26 Likes

$500,000 for a single talk? That had better be one fucking riveting and enlightening presentation.

5 Likes

He has a bright future awaiting him in the TGOP.

2 Likes

It’s a multi-fork strategy to cripple them.

• Massive security costs.
  • Highlight protests as the Intolerant Left.
  • Rally points for groups like the Proud Boys.
  • A wedge issue with Centerists. (“We must defend Free Speech, even for Nazis” “What about pedophile groups?” “Ummm…”)
  • Lawsuits if the speaker is blocked.
  • Legislation to defund institutions that don’t allow Freeze Peach.

eta: I’d been trying to think of a good tag for these tactics: Trojan speakers.

12 Likes

That’s the cost of security for the event. No idea how much the speaker gets.

3 Likes

Set up a punching booth, and they could turn a profit.

12 Likes

Unless, of course, said Free Speech is in the form of protest against RW speakers or policies, at which point, go ahead and shut that shit down. You will recall the stunning lack of noise from them when the edict against booing Trump was given, recently. Amazing how that works.

12 Likes

How much would it cost for enough sulfuric acid to fill a dunk tank?

7 Likes

escalated

12 Likes

Just asking questions.

6 Likes

For a friend? :smiley:

6 Likes

Can we put a dome over all of them so they are protected from being thrusted into these venues?

3 Likes

Interestingly, this is essentially how the Westboro Baptist Church functions. Lawsuits and settlements are their primary income.

3 Likes

Amazing how Trump keep speaking at all these colleges, presumably in the hopes of getting some leftie students riled up so he can point to them as proof of his thesis about the intolerant left, but instead keeps accidentally exposing the intolerance and rot in the right.

5 Likes

floridabb

5 Likes

Would it be a good strategy to push their speaking fees so high that nobody can afford to listen to them?

Honestly, if their supporters are willing to shell out stupid sums of money to listen to their bullshit, I approve. Get every dime you can, you right-wing monsters!

I just had a fun daydream about the “church” proclaiming that God has revealed that the money you’ve raked in during your lifetime will be used to fuel the flames you’re sitting in when you arrive in Hell.

Of course, the church is just another money-making racket so that would never happen.

It is a weird brand name for a condom. What message is it supposed to send?

trojan

2 Likes