Study: Covid pill cuts risk of hospitalization and death by 50%

Originally published at: Study: Covid pill cuts risk of hospitalization and death by 50% | Boing Boing

13 Likes

If this reduces the infected person’s own risk without affecting their ability, nay RIGHT to continue to infect those around them, this should be a hit for COVIDiots. I shall purchase my stocks with haste and horse paste.

14 Likes

It seems to me that if we want the people who have resisted vaccination to take this pill—either before or after they get infected—then we need a concerted campaign to convince them that the FDA and Big Pharma don’t want them to use it. Make this pill the next ivermectin!

11 Likes

They’re going to keep talking themselves out of things. Ivermectin in… this drug (produced by the same company that discovered Ivermectin) out.

Note: one of my twitter friends is a genetics professor and says this is only good short term, because the way it works is to interrupt the virus’ ability to create RNA, causing the RNA to mutate… but RNA is actually created by your own cells. That can affect protein development your body needs. So there’s some chance compounding over time that it’s creating cancerous cells in your body. Good short term, very bad long term.

Tell them “it gives you cancer” and watch them run right back to the horse paste.

15 Likes

The authorities missed the chance to call this pill Ivermectin Oral and sucker the arseholes in to protecting us all. Maybe they could have made it look like Punisher Ecstasy; only make it red.

12 Likes

The way this medication works is interesting

nature.com/articles/s41594-021-00657-8

Molnupiravir (MK-4482, EIDD-2801) is a candidate antiviral that inhibits viral propagation through lethal mutagenesis by introducing errors in the viral genome

19 Likes

That said, it seems a bad idea to present these oral antivirals as alternatives to vaccination for people who have so far refused to get vaccinated.

Not to worry. Once a treatment reaches even this modest level of effectiveness, the Know-Nothings automatically reject it and claim it’s another aspect of the plot by cosmopolitan librul elites. Moar horse medicine, please!

15 Likes

30 Likes

… which is an anagram for IVERMECTIN.

DO YOUR RESEARCH SHEEPLE

18 Likes

Can we put microchips in it? Asking for a friend.

And, if you refuse to get vaxxed because the vaccine hasn’t been around long enough, and you feel like you’re a guinea pig, then why take a new drug that also hasn’t been tested thoroughly? “Yes, it reduces COVID deaths by 50%, but it increases cancer and impotence by 80%!”

11 Likes

I’m just chiming in to say that Ivermectin too often gets a bad wrap as just a “horse dewormer.” Allow me to correct the record: It can also be used to treat ear mites in rabbits.

19 Likes

Assuming you are joking here, but the requirement in the trials to essentially assure that no babies are conceived on the drug does cause one to wonder. Once it is out there in the wild, and those rules cannot be assumed, I guess we shall see. The target enzyme indicates it should be safe, similar target used in some other drugs like ribavavirin, a fairly safe but ineffective drug for RSV, but one can never really predict how pharmaceuticals will interact with the phenomenally complex chemistry found within our physiology.

10 Likes

(Yes, mostly joking. It is a joke, a sick joke, to put oneself in the mind state of the Qnutter.)

7 Likes

No joke; Ivermectin is a legit miracle drug for humans infected with the parasites that cause river blindness among other maladies.

Covid-19 is not river blindness.

23 Likes

A treatment which only reduces the effects of having Covid is a threat to the continued effectiveness of the existing vaccines. The false promise of bypassing the vaccine allows the virus to expand in the population & increases the risks of further variants. One of those could become both vaccine-resistant & dominant, taking us back to early 2020.

Vaccination is the path to success. Permitting this pill to be erroneously considered an “alternative” could doom us to repetition. Too many people already regard monoclonal antibodies, remdesivir, and even ivermectin as their excuse for not getting the vaccine.

It is analogous to over-prescribing antibiotics. Doing so contributed to the evolution of MRSA & similar resistant strains.

17 Likes

“The drug, named molnupiravir…”

Shoulda named it Revivify 5000 if you want antivaxxers to take it.

5 Likes

“Brawdovoxin®, the Virus Mutilator!™"

14 Likes

Counting down to when the next wave hits and the unvaxxed suck the supply dry the first week, leaving the rest to (Surprise!) suffer and die.

9 Likes

molnupiravir - nickname: Thor’s Hammer

6 Likes

Next wave? Can there be a next wave if the current one doesn’t end?

4 Likes