COVID-19 pill could be a "game changer"

Originally published at: COVID-19 pill could be a "game changer" | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Watch the antivaxxers refuse to take it because it’s from big pharma.

20 Likes

This is a Merck drug though… as is ivermectin.

10 Likes

Maga/Qnut certified then?

5 Likes

Seems legit.

3 Likes

“Don’t wait until the patient is experiencing severe symptoms before seeking treatment” is a pretty good rule to go by for most diseases.

19 Likes

I thought about this for longer than anyone else would have needed to and I did get there. It’s not even a pre-print, though, since they’re publishing before the trial is finished. In the how will this play out sweepstakes, I call “this is bullshit.” I really hope I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Watch for the Koch libertarian machine to push it as an alternative to masks, lockdowns, and even vaccination. “Open up, go back to work, and get used to Covid!”

That’s been their strategy with all the quack treatments until now. If they don’t back this one, it’ll be because it’s a real treatment.

An effective treatment is great, but we’ll never get rid of covid that way.

10 Likes

They will probably be ok with this one because it allows them to treat their symptoms after they have used their freedumbs to be good little plague vectors… none of those civic-minded preventative measures favored by beta cuck pinko librul soshulist wimps required.

10 Likes

This was a placebo-controlled double-blind trial, with an independent safety review board monitoring the data in real time. The job of the review board is to look for signs that things are going really badly so that they can end the trial early if necessary to keep more people from getting hurt. Or, in rare cases, if the results are super positive they can end the trial early because they believe the benefits are great enough that continuing the trial for the original planned duration would be unnecessary. This was an example of the latter case.

If you look at the actual numbers in this trial it seems that they may even be underselling it a bit. In the first 29 days, 8 out of the 377 placebo patients died, and zero out of the 385 medicated patients died.

But yes, a full publication is obviously still important and we’ll see how that turns out.

22 Likes

That’s my concern, too. Yet another reason not to get vaccinated (despite the fact that both the vaccine and this new drug are from Big Pharma). Maybe, it’s just harder to fit the 5G chip into the pill.

4 Likes

Hope springs eternal. Even if the anti-vaxxers do cling to this, the new drug still sounds like a big deal.

2 Likes

You do know that the trials for the vaccines aren’t finished either, right? Even though preliminary results have been published, and the vaccines are in use.

download (1)

11 Likes

This Marvel™ marketing is getting out of hand!

Molnupravir

8 Likes

No, they’ll take it. They love the antibody treatment (the same people who claim to think the vaccines are too experimental are happy to take that, despite being even less tested). It only helps them, and not some other people as well, like vaccines or masks do, so it’s fine.

11 Likes

How to get the antivaxxers/trumpists on board:
Make damn sure the pill is red
Stamp the characters ‘V9VW’* on it & refer to it as ‘the V9VW pill’

*turn it upside down… what does it spell?

6 Likes

What did happen to the Canadian nasal spray?

3 Likes

The word is already going around that it’s legit because it’s just repackaged ivermectin.

Yeah, that’s right – QK because it’s bogus.

5 Likes

I wonder what this new drug will cost.
As opposed to the vaccine which is free for US citizens or even anybody who shows up to be vaccinated.

5 Likes