Suburban neighborhood on lockdown due to roaming hippopotamus (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/04/15/suburban-neighborhood-on-lockdown-due-to-roaming-hippopotamus-video.html

7 Likes

Hippos are no joke. From memory, in Africa lions kill around 70 people a year. Hippos kill around 3000.

11 Likes
3 Likes

Unless you count mosquitos, hippos kill more people than any other animal in Africa.

Someone really needs to make a horror-movie version of Hungry Hungry Hippos.

9 Likes

Thank goodness nothing seems to be able to keep up with mosquitoes.

A neighbour worked with Medecins Sans Frontieres, and she knew more than most about how mosquitoes carry disease. Before talking to her, I had wondered why diseases that can spread by transfusion (e.g. HIV) don’t spread by mosquito. She explained (and as I understood her explanation) that to be a mosquito-borne disease, the “in the mosquito” time has to be a development stage of the pathogen’s life cycle - the mosquito can’t just be an Uber ride for the microorganism.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Again, it’s my understanding a hippo really could bite someone in half like you see in the trailer, and almost move that fast, over short distances.

1 Like

Gods bless Casual Geographic:

Do not fuck with hippos.

6 Likes

Trigger warning: hippo bites human:

4 Likes

So cute but so dangerous.

1 Like

FIONA! Pride and joy of Ohio right there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.