Summer Olympics 2024 - let the games begin!

8 Likes

Countdown to memes of that guy’s face replaced with J.D.’s and the landing mat replaced with a couch…

6 Likes

In a sequel to his 2021 viral video in which he lost his mind about a hose “crip walking” while watching dressage with comedian Kevin Hart, Snoop once again gave the ancient sport some modern flair in his commentary alongside Stewart. It helped that one of the horses he was watching was named “Gin & Juice,” seemingly in honor of Snoop’s 1994 song of the same name from his debut Doggystyle album.

“AYYYY!” Snoop bellowed when he caught wind of the horse’s name when Polish rider Sandra Sysojeva came sauntering out and the track played in the background. “Okay, we got an LBC horse in the house!” Snoop added excitedly as he freestyled some lyrics about his new horse homie. “From the front to the back/ There’s so much drama, and party, it’s hard being an H-O-R-S-E,” Snoop rapped as Stewart attempted to point out some of the skills on display and Snoop showed her his version of “that side walk.”

5 Likes

We caught some of the bike racing.

The frame alone, no seat or wheels, cost 73 grand.

That’s crazy.

7 Likes

We watched Mondo Duplantis win the gold for pole vaulting by breaking the record and then coming back 20 minutes later to break that world record.

He went 20’6".

9 Likes

Who would have guessed some 30 years ago when The Chronic dropped that Snoop would eventually become this goofy wholesome dude that pals around with Martha Stewart and is interested in dressage?

I mean don’t get me wrong, he always seemed like he would be fun to hang out with, but what an unexpected trajectory.

9 Likes

He saw that horse crip walkin’ and got hooked tophat-biggrin

I’ll see if I can find the vid of him and Kevin Hart, when that happened.

5 Likes

saintartemis

Gold medalist Rebeca Andrade of Brazil, silver medalist Simone Biles of the United States and bronze medalist Jordan Chiles of the United States celebrate on the podium at the Artistic Gymnastics Women’s Floor Exercise Medal Ceremony on day ten of the Olympic Games Paris 2024 at Bercy Arena on August 5, 2024 in Paris, France.

{Edited to separate the images despite having hit ‘enter’ between each one}

11 Likes

Indeed! I posted that video earlier but here it is again because it’s always good for a laugh:

10 Likes

How could he not like dressage? The horses are gorgeous and look like they are concentrating sooo hard.
I still think the horses should get medals too

10 Likes

Thank you, dahling! It is a particularly amusing vid tophat-biggrin tophat-cool

Yes! Esp the dressage horses who are overbent and ridden by flappy-legg’d, behind-the-motion riders, and the event horses!

9 Likes

There really is a lot of talent in that video!

And the horses are lovely, too.

8 Likes

A comparison list

3 Likes

I can’t seem to find a youtube link but try to see the climbers

Aleksandra Mirosław breaks own world record with stunning Speed climb at Paris 2024 Olympics Mirosław wowed the crowd,breaking her previous world record.

7 Likes

I watched all of the euqstrian coverage since Mrs. Ficus is big into it being a former jumper herself. I will say whoever was doing the dressage music had some cheek.

There was an ABBA medley during one of the Swedish tests, and Down Under and Waltzing Matilda during one of the Australian tests. When a horse named Jolene was doing her test, I’ll give you one guess what they played.

It was a nice bit of humor injected into the event.

13 Likes

The riders select the music, and also decide which movements they will perform - and when and where - for the freestyle events.

Regular dressage tests have all the riders perform the same pre-determined set of movements. These must be done in the same order, at the same places, at the same gaits (walk, trot, canter; more rarely a hand [slow] gallop).

The rider of a well-known dressage/circus-ish performing Friesian horse let the audience know that her horse chose the music to which they’d perform. Back at home, she’d put on diff tunes she’d thought he’d like, and see how he responded to them as she rode him. tophat-biggrin tophat-cool

12 Likes

This was during the grand prix, so this was definitely the musical director having a bit of sense of humor. (And I enjoyed playing “what song is this weird Muzak supposed to be representing?” while watching.)

The freestyle event had some bangers and really inspired choices of music, and the crowd was all in for it taking every opportunity they could to clap along. There were some pretty damn spectacular routines at that event, especially the last block of 6 (since of course it had all the top ranked talent).

7 Likes

Don’t know if this is Canada only, but definitely worth a watch:

5 Likes

Not available to me, but they are remarkable performances well worth searching by all.

2 Likes

Medal Monster

Cookie Monster looks a little too interested in taking a bite out of Team USA swimmer Katie Ledecky’s Olympic medals

13 Likes