Summer Olympics 2024 - let the games begin!

Not every olympian is obsessed with celebrities

6 Likes

The things people will do to get high…

3 Likes

We saw this happen and thought yay, something for everyone and then, wtf.

5 Likes

Did anyone see this guy during the track events yesterday?

Apparently he’s a track coach from the UP in Michigan, he was there in support of Kenny Bednarek from Wisconsin.

12 Likes

Your link has some extraneous characters at the end that need to be dropped for the link to work.

7 Likes

What a cheese-head!

6 Likes

This being the BBC, the Brit who won bronze gets priority over the Australian who won gold.

Team GB’s Sky Brown overcame a shoulder injury to claim Olympic bronze in a thrilling women’s skateboarding park final in Paris.

Brown, 16, was seen clutching the left shoulder that she dislocated last week, after a heavy fall during Tuesday’s preliminary round.

But a sensational final run of 92.31 ensured she added to the bronze she collected in Tokyo, when she became GB’s youngest medallist aged 13 years and 28 days.

Australia’s Arisa Trew, 14, took gold at Place de la Concorde with 93.18, as Japan’s Kokona Hiraki also repeated her result from three years ago, scoring 92.63 for silver.

A new winner had been guaranteed after reigning champion Sakura Yosozumi failed to advance earlier in the day.

And Trew, who was sporting her trademark pink helmet, superbly executed a high-risk and high-speed final round to become the youngest medallist at Paris 2024.

ETA an Australian story:

Previously on Boing Boing:

8 Likes

Just watched the women’s steeplechase, Winfred Yavi from Bahrain crushed the Olympic record and was so excited.

Also, today I learned about equipment robots, those tiny cars driving around the field.

10 Likes

So, anyone who is watching live, have they done any breakin’ contests yet? I have not seen any clips of that yet, so was just wondering.

8 Likes

We’re under a tornado watch at the campground so we’re hunkered down inside watching NBC and CBET, no breaking but if I’m reading the schedule right it looks like Friday morning is the day.

11 Likes

Thanks!

Also, stay safe!

Wizard Of Oz Kick GIF

10 Likes
11 Likes

I defy anyone not to smile along with her joy!

As an aside my favourite events have been the mixed relays. So exciting. Particularly the swimming where they mix strokes too.

ETA
The men’s 1,500 was a peach btw. Bad blood and sledging between the two favourites and a young American snuck in between them to win in a new Olympic record. Top three inside the record and the favourite run out to fourth. Great race.

5 Likes
7 Likes

Dog What GIF by MOODMAN

4 Likes

15 Likes

As a middle distance runner in the past, I was blown away by the men’s 1500 meters. First, 3 Americans made the final - first time in something over 50 years. First time in over a hundred years with two Americans in gold and bronze. And Hocker ran such a gutsy race. Yes, Ingibritsen did a lot of work out front. But Hocker got boxed in in the straight and that’s usually killer in this level of competition. But he fought back into it and Ingibritsen made a fatal error in paying attention to Kerr on the outside and left Hocker a window to pass on the inside. Without that, he might not have even medaled!

(I was a kick finisher like Hocker and it was usually catastrophic to get boxed in. I’d rather run on the outside on the turn than get caught inside when I needed to pass.)

7 Likes

“At this point, we had nothing to lose, so I was like ‘We’re just going to try,” Team USA coach Cecile Landi said of the inquiry. “I honestly didn’t think it was going to happen but when I heard her scream, I turned around and was like ‘What?’”

Ugh. What an ugly sentiment. This is not good sportsmanship or the Olympic spirit

1 Like

I saw a clip of a British archer competing against a German archer for the quarter finals on Eurosport. Eurosport is a French company that produces content that is watched all over the continent. The commentator, however, was British, as they often are. He was nakedly partisan for the British athlete.

ETA: found it. Looks like I remembered it incorrectly. The commentator seems to be Aussie, but is as partisan as I remember. Anglosphere gonna anglosphere. Even the title: “Florian Unruh vs Team GB’s Tom Hall :grimacing: Men’s Individual Archery”

What is that extraneous “Team GB” doing here? They don’t follow the branding rules of any other team.

3 Likes

Not everybody has what is takes to be a modern day David Coleman.

3 Likes