Summer Olympics 2024 - let the games begin!

And what an awesome name! You couldn’t make up a better name for a pole vaulter - Mondo Duplantis!

7 Likes
9 Likes

The Canadian Women’s soccer team, starting out with -6 points, won all three of their opening matches to finish with 3 points and second place in their pool.

They move on to the quarter-finals to defend their gold medal. Woohoo! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Guatemala should be third on that list, medals from men (bronze) and women (gold) trap shooting – very dull watching on TV, the atmosphere sounded pretty good though.

4 Likes

Daring use of existing features

15 Likes

I wish they would tell me who the commentators are.

Does anyone know who the gymnast commentators are on NBC? The one sounds like maybe a gymnast.

And I should have paid attention to Sheldon’s Fun With Flags.

I wish they would use letter abbreviations along with the flag.

We’re watching the gymnastics finals, good stuff.

8 Likes

Love her so much!

16 Likes

[:palestinian_territories:Dr. Tim Henke (tɪm 'ɦɛŋ.kə): “For your viewing pleasure: Meloni’s face as the Italian gold medalist in judo celebrates by kissing her girlfriend” — Bluesky (bsky.app)]

ETA

11 Likes

[Who is Yusuf Dikec, Turkish shooter who went viral at 2024 Olympics? | AP News]

[Olympics-Shooting-Casual Turkish shooter goes viral, teammate says he earned it (msn.com)]

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/other/olympics-shooting-casual-turkish-shooter-goes-viral-teammate-says-he-earned-it/ar-BB1r6wwx?ocid=BingNewsSerp

[Daniel Burle Orlandine: “Ué, vai me dizer que isso aqui não é verdade?? :smile:” — Bluesky (bsky.app)]

https://www.instagram.com/p/C-JM_GFBXQJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link&igsh=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

6 Likes

I know that actor Chris Meloni is at the Olympics watching the games, so I was confused for a moment.

6 Likes

[IOC says boxers Imane Khelif and Lin Yu Ting have faced online abuse - The Washington Post]

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2024/08/02/imane-khelif-lin-yu-ting-paris-olympics/

7 Likes
6 Likes

My preferred olympics…

from

John Waters Smile GIF by Locarno Film Festival

11 Likes

Relevant:

After his seeming amazement upon seeing dressage footage for the first time at the Tokyo Olympics, I was hoping he’d make an appearance this time around. I hope he enjoyed himself.

“I am interested in the horses that dance,” he said during an NBC stint. “And I want to give them some carrots and apples… make sure they’re fed before they do their thang.”

:saluting_face:

Original:

9 Likes
6 Likes

It will all end in tears when he gets drug tested.

Dear NBC, I would rather watch sports than watch your correspondents talk to Snoop. You are learning the wrong lessons from why people tune in. Good Gawd, the 2028 LA/ Snoop Olympics will be insufferable.

2 Likes

The statement did not specify Michel’s illness, which was reported days after she swam in the River Seine during the women’s triathlon on Wednesday.

Huh. I never knew you could catch COVID from swimming in a clean river.
/s

4 Likes

Dubrovich’s incredible behind-the-head touche at 1:30!

4 Likes

Just wanted to say…

I’ve watched the olympics in varying amounts and w/varying interest my entire life. Many sports were exclusively white as I was growing up.

I am so very happy to see how much that has changed!

Little MerelyGifted would have been surprised and delighted to learn that Simone Biles and Lauren Scruggs were in the future. She would have been saddened to learn how long it would take, tho.

12 Likes

Some athletes compete too hard.

3 Likes