Sunset magazine suggests dosing your family with cannabis gravy at Thanksgiving

i need something to cover up the arsenic.

3 Likes

I didn’t even remember that it was a magazine – I thought they published cookbooks, of which I own several. I got these back in college, and most of the recipes therein could be described as fairly bland. I guess cheddar turnovers only went so far, and now they’re expanding their herbal palate? I hadn’t given any more thought to Sunset (what with all the berbere now in the house), but living in the eastern half of the United States may have something to do with it.

4 Likes

I view it less as pretending everything is fine than as taking a short break from the sh*tstorm outside. If someone ever brings that into the table conversation I’ll be the first to express my displeasure, but it’ll start with a firm reminder about the Thanksgiving meal being a dinner party and not a revolution.

21 Likes

Non-consensual dosing is ‘Consciousness Rape.’

Please no, do not use this term. There’s enough trouble getting people to take rape seriously, and equating something that has nothing to do with sexual assault with rape is more than just problematic… it is irresponsible.

7 Likes

I’d like to ask the editors of Sunset, “Would you consider giving Grandma a cup of coffee with sedatives in it, or maybe a mug of cider secretly dosed with booze, to dope her into sleepy silence at the dinner table?”

If the answer, I would hope, is “heck no,” why give her weed gravy instead?

5 Likes

The last extended family dinner I was at, my B-I-L brought up immigration. He launched into it, and I said “are we really doing this” because the only way there was going to be peace was if we just avoided topics like that. He was not to be deterred. Once more into the breach.

I’d much rather have a Thanksgiving like yours.

16 Likes

I’m lucky. There are only a couple of known supporters of Il Douche in the mix at the events I’ve gone to over the past few years, and they’re in it mainly for the tax breaks.

11 Likes

I feel like it may have been exhaustion speaking. We are entering our 4th year of Trump as President, and god help whichever relative wants to come up to me and talk about the impeachment witch hunt, or how great a man he is.

But that doesn’t make it right at all to suggest dosing them with pot gravy. If anything, they should be suggesting noise cancelling headphones.

12 Likes

Yeah, not cool to give anyone a mood or mind altering anything without their OK. Edge cases might be be made but I’m not going to delve into them, ahem. And isn’t giving this to children, like, a crime?

Now the idea of a punch that has booze and a different punch that does not for the kiddies is as old as time. We serve adults sparkling wine at our Thanksgiving, and the kids get NA sparkling cider. There can be a vivid green ADULTS ONLY! gravy and the kiddie stuff. My Dad used to love to put 3x too much cognac and/or brandy in the gravy and my mother eventually made him do booze/no booze versions.

Are we all SURE this isn’t just a bad joke? OTOH I just got back from OR and the Portland airport had magazines about weed culture.

6 Likes

Because weed is natural and harmless lol.

(This comment comes dosed with a healthy amount of /s, because seriously don’t drug people without their consent.)

9 Likes

You had green-colored brandy gravy for your turkey and stuffing? I feel like there’s much tastier ways of imbibing alcohol at Thanksgiving.

2 Likes

And seriously, a fascist on weed is just a fascist on weed. Drugging them won’t do anything except make their fascism a little more mellow maybe.

19 Likes

It’s like one of those things that came about by accident. Way too much booze in the gravy so it didn’t burn off,* and the “drunk gravy” became a family tradition. It was then dyed bright green so everyone (except for the 10% of men who are red/green colorblind) can tell the adults-only gravy from the regular stuff.

*technically, alcohol doesn’t burn off completely regardless

7 Likes

So, stick with pot liquor?

(That’s a joke, because pot liquor is not alcoholic. Nor does it have pot in it.)

6 Likes

Now I’m fascinated, and feel like I should do some drunk gravy this Thanksgiving.

6 Likes

Wow, I had to look up some recipes. I had no idea that people put cognac or brandy in gravy!

4 Likes

I thought drunk gravy might be like drunken noodles, but drunken noodles are apparently not made with alcohol.

Drunken chicken, however, is.

6 Likes

Sunset unsurprisingly got some backlash on this, as the article now starts with a disclaimer.

7 Likes

Where is the author having Thanksgiving and is there room for one more?

4 Likes

Better mellow than drunk and belligerent/violent

3 Likes