Sunset magazine suggests dosing your family with cannabis gravy at Thanksgiving

It’s just plain offensive too. It trivializes rape.

3 Likes

also, pot tastes awful! Foods are not improved by it. I can only really stand it with peanut butter which does a pretty good job of covering up the icky sticky.

1 Like

My family has an agreement to not get into politics with a certain family member. We still love him, but… those conversations won’t end well, so we say, “let’s not talk about that.” I’ve done it myself. (I can talk politics with a few of my family, because while I might be the most left-ish one I’m aware of in the group, we tend to agree on the important things, and can respect the differences when they come up. Plus I don’t push it too hard. :wink: )

14 Likes

I think it may be the opposite. People aren’t taking drugging other people without their consent seriously enough. This often does have to do with sexual assault, and the guys that do it say, what’s the problem, she consented, even though she clearly didn’t consent to being roofied. coughCosbycough. I don’t really care why anyone would want to dose anyone else, it’s creepy as fuck. Dosing someone for reasons that (this time) are non-sexual doesn’t make it any less creepy.

12 Likes

Last Thanksgiving, I used white wine to deglaze the pan, then added flour and butter to make a roux, added chicken stock slowly to make a gravy, simmered that with sage, thyme, and tarragon, and then finished it with cream.

There are a lot of sauce/gravy recipes that work similar.

9 Likes

That’s what I was thinking. I understand why people are offended by the comparison because we probably all intuitively (and rightly) feel that getting a little high on pot without consent is in a completely different league than being raped. It just seems like it’s easy to laugh off a little recreational cannabis when the real issue is messing around with other people’s bodies without their consent/knowledge. It’s easy to see how this could be traumatizing/dangerous for the victim.

And, yeah, it’s creepy as fuck. Drugging/poisoning people is it’s own little corner of sociopathy and would make me seriously question how safe it is to be around a person.

15 Likes

I honestly don’t think that would fly with my family. Politics isn’t a taboo dinner table conversation for them, but essentially a mandatory one. Everyone, children included, is expected to have and defend their ideas. It was hard to keep my grandmother from advocating political assassination in public settings. Trying to keep politics under wraps behind closed doors would be a miracle workers task.

12 Likes

Mine, who turns 99 this Dec expressed the same once in public. It was funny at the time.

Things are different now.

7 Likes

I’m talking about 20+ person Thanksgiving dinners, a mix of families. For smaller dinner parties, maximum 10 people, politics is fair game amongst my family and friends (mostly because everyone’s in general agreement).

8 Likes

I think this year I will miss Thanksgiving with my parents due to my kid doing 18 performances of a play for Theater for Young America. But I’ll have lunch with her on Thanksgiving.

Might go to a Pigface concert that night, but since the DEA watches me, I can’t dose anything I’m not supposed to.

8 Likes

Dosing your family with THC is irresponsible, immoral, and probably illegal.

That said, dosing the gravy with a cocktail of K2, Bath Salts, MDMX and some of that MKULTRA DLSD from the dark web, then igniting the power strobes and the 12000w tornado sirens, as you let the hungry caged rats free?

That’s a holiday gift that keeps on giving.

6 Likes

I am as well. It’s a shock to the new people each year, but has managed to be pretty civil.

2 Likes

That’s “brain gravy”, delicious!

6 Likes

They’ve updated the article and now say this at the top:
Editor’s note: We’ve updated this piece to make it abundantly clear we don’t actually suggest you dose your family with THC at the Thanksgiving table.

Reading the article, the “abundantly clear” part appears to be just adding “(with full consent, of course)” after they tell you to serve it to your family.

This whole thing reads like paid content from Kiva Confections anyways.

10 Likes

Seriously though, I get depressed at how many people don’t realise that secretly putting anything into other peoples food and drink is abusive and dangerous.

9 Likes

It totally does read like paid content. I kind of hated to perpetuate that but I couldn’t let it go.

7 Likes

AFAIAC, you can take the word “controlled” out of it. Between allergies, medication contraindications, and religious/philosophical dietary needs, non-consensual feeding of anything is a no-go. I don’t care if it’s a special secret ingredient: if it’s not normally found in the foodstuff and/or you are asked, full disclosure is mandatory.

15 Likes

We’ve already got two sets of gravy for T-day anyway, the vegan one and the turkey-fat one. We’d have to figure out whether the weed gravy was vegan or not (I’m assuming it’s not, and most of the family members who like weed are the vegans/vegetarians, though there are a couple of turkey-eaters who also partake.)

On the other hand, at least the political discussion we had for Thanksgiving 2016 went “Trump? Ugh.” “yeah, it’s going to be ugly.” “Pass the stuffing.” (We do have one uncle who’s politically conservative and gets his news from Fox, but he’s also a nice really guy who can have a civilized conversation even about conservative politics, and since he worked in the meat business all his life, he’s more puzzled by the vegans than by the liberals, but is also polite with them.)

6 Likes

I live a few miles from Sunset Magazine’s old office in Silicon Valley (they were here before tech was…) For a while, my company had rented office space from them, and we had meetings there, but I could never get my department to let me have an office there, a flat easy bike ride from home, so instead I had to either drive 10 miles the other direction or take a train into the city, depending on which customers I was supporting.

And yes, this is planted material from Kiva; I tried to search for whether the gravy was vegan or not, found a dozen different magazines/newspapers with basically the same article, and it’s basically a small-batch holiday promotion only available in a few dispensaries in SF and LA.

6 Likes

Wine, yes, to deglaze the pan, is familiar to me…I guess I don’t really think of cognac or brandy as “wine” (even if it once was, before distilling)…

For some reason, the smell of wine being cooked, and the taste of cooked wine in food, repulses me—I don’t know why. Maybe it’s the yeast? Now I wonder if I’d find cooking with cognac/brandy (since it’s distilled) to be more pleasant.

3 Likes